deep beds of grass clippings

• 7 Replies

vegypete

• Location: gravel lane alottments, hemel hempstead hertfordshire
deep beds of grass clippings
« on: April 23, 2014, 21:34 »
i can get aload of grass clippings from a contract gardener,i have used them to smother weeds on my beds about 1ft deep will these be ok to plant in to when they rot down ? and if so what would do best inthese beds   ?...........pete
if at first you don't suckseed try again

Trillium

Re: deep beds of grass clippings
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 22:03 »
Problem with heaped grass clippings is they quickly rot to a soggy rotten mess, nothing conducive to good plant growth. Just use it for mulching for now. For planting, dig out a planting circle and set the plants into the soil but don't pull the clippings back just yet. Plant stems need to be older growth to deal with clippings.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 22:05 »
Make sure they haven't been treated with a weed killer.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 22:09 »
Excellent point. So many lawns are sprayed heavily.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 11:44 »
Another point is that freshly-cut lawn clippings generate a lot of heat so it's ok as a mulch for now but be careful of any plants that are already in by leaving a good area around the stems, even if they are woody fruit bushes. Can you get hold of some paper shreddings to mix it with so it will get the air to it and not go mushy.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

3759allen

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 18:59 »
not really helping with your question but my dad now mixes grass cuttings with leaves (whole ones, not shredded) in roughly a 50/ 50 mix by volume.

piles into a black bag (he uses inside out compost bags) and ties the ends up with string.

then piles them up and leaves to rot down he moves the pile every 3 or 4 months, this puts the top of the pile to the bottom and visa versa. he also gives them a bit of shake and move about while he does this.

after a year it makes blooming good compost with minimal effort imo.

vegypete

• Location: gravel lane alottments, hemel hempstead hertfordshire
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 02:11 »
if there is a chance of plants being burnt by the composting grass clippings how about larg plastic pots with the bottoms cut of then pull the compost back and push these in to the ground then plant or sow within the perimeter of the pots ?

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 03:26 »
if there is a chance of plants being burnt by the composting grass clippings how about larg plastic pots with the bottoms cut of then pull the compost back and push these in to the ground then plant or sow within the perimeter of the pots ?

That'd would work but it's extra work then you'd have the bother of disposing of the pots later on. Simply keeping the grass away from new plants would work just as well.

I have used grass clipping for quite a while to cover newly emerged potatoes to protect them from early frost. Light layers of clippings do give warmth but too thick a layer will (as has been said) form a heavy decaying mat... not at all useful.

Grass helps add organic material but I doubt if it adds nitrogen to the soil - probably the reverse if it decays on the surface rather than in a mixed compost heap.

Mulch around established plants with it, when it dries out in the summer fork it in. I add it over a sprinkling of pelleted chicken manure (slow release fertiliser).
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
Grass clippings

Started by Baz on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post April 26, 2007, 21:22
by purplebat
xx
grass clippings....

Started by chopkins1313 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 16, 2010, 20:49
by rock_chick
xx
composting grass clippings.

Started by kentishgal on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 12, 2012, 22:33
by compostqueen
xx
Using grass clippings as a mulch

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 01, 2020, 11:53
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 36 queries.