Sneezing Hen - An Allergy Maybe?

• 6 Replies

peachesandclive

Sneezing Hen - An Allergy Maybe?
« on: August 02, 2009, 17:41 »
I have a hen who sneezes a lot in the afternoon/early evening. She's otherwise as normal and this has been going on for a while - it's as though she's allergic to something. Any ideas what we might do to help her?

snowflake

• Experienced Member
Re: Sneezing Hen - An Allergy Maybe?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 18:51 »
How strange? what does she do before she starts the sneezes? like dust bath/ preen, wonder round the garden or in the hen house.  Do you spray the hen house?

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 22:18 »
Are her nostrils clear?
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

peachesandclive

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 08:24 »
There's nothing obvious that would trigger it, but I'm wondering whether it might be the mash that we've been feeding them and am going back to pellets. I've checked her nostrils in the past and given them a wipe but they haven't appeared clogged.

Often when she starts sneezing she goes for a drink but this seems to make it worse if anything.

It must be really annoying for her - I know it is for us as it's really loud and sounds like crowing which makes me conscious of the neighbours.

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 08:54 »
Hi Peaches and Clive, she may have a lower respiratory infection which is why she is sneezing/coughing, trying to clear her lungs (chickens have a very different respiratory system to humans). A trip to the vets for some antibiotics Tylan if possible, or Baytril will help. It shouldn't cost more than about £25 and ask the vet to listen to her air sacs, they will be able to detect any "rattle" quite easily and confirm diagnosis.
In the meantime make sure coop is dry and clean, disinfected and aired,no straw, just woodshavings for now.

Pellets are a good idea anyway, maybe dampen the mash for now to see if it makes any difference, but make sure it is changed everyday if you do that. It is good she is drinking if you have any Apple cider vinegar pop 25ml per litre and add a crushed garlic clove as well. Goof luck and keep us posted! :)

flangey

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 11:07 »
Hi foxy, just checking your advice re the crushed garlic clove, should you put that in their water or food.  I use garlic for my dogs and horse but always put it in the food, never thought of it for the chucks though - great idea  8)

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 12:32 »
sorry I pop it in the water! ;)

xx
Allergy.

Started by kimT on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 21, 2008, 09:18
by kimT
xx
Chicken allergy

Started by rdaitch on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 10, 2008, 10:56
by rdaitch
xx
Sneezing hen.

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 22, 2010, 10:30
by joyfull
xx
Sneezing?

Started by chickpea87 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 10:36
by kimT

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 35 queries.