Broad Fork

• 18 Replies

Huzey

Broad Fork
« on: March 30, 2007, 19:00 »
Been making this prototype over the last couple of days. Using scrap and bits and bobs I had lying around. It needs longer handles, and some longer tines between the existing ones I reckon. Trouble is I have run out of steel rod now, so will have to go on a blagging mission somewhere.

clicky

A copy of a french tool, called a Grelinette, made by monsieur Grelin, otherwise known as a broadfork.

Another clicky
Regards Huzey
All the gear.......No idea!

shaun

Broad Fork
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 19:04 »
looks intresting huzey and think of all that exersise  :wink:
also be handy for planting your leeks
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Huzey

Broad Fork
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 19:16 »
Thanks Shaun.
I think the idea behind it is to cover a large area with not too much effort. It is 2' wide with tines spaced at 4", and I think they are 8" long. I'm going to look out for some more steel rod and make some 10" long tines to go in between the 8" ones. The curved shape of the tine gives you a natural lever when you pull back so as you don't hurt your back too much.
I tempered the tines so as they dont bend, but as you can see from the piccie, I didn't quite get the bend right on a couple so more work needed. I was just too keen to try it out.
Huzey

shaun

Broad Fork
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 19:25 »
if you can get your hands on some "high tensile" round bar then you wont bend that when its cold.
so expensive steel isnt it.

Huzey

Broad Fork
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 19:32 »
It certainly is. I have a few contacts here and there and can usualy do a bit of bartering though.
Managed to get some scaffolding pipe today to have a go at building a pollytunnel down the bottom of my garden. Cost me a few rolls of insulation tape out of the works van.
On the look out for some 50mm ducting now to make the hoops.
Huzey

shaun

Broad Fork
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 19:41 »
if you have a burdens in your area http://www.burdens.co.uk/ or some place similar then you can get 50m 75m or 100m roll of 50mm duct its a lot cheaper than alkathene (blue water pipe) and just as good

Huzey

Broad Fork
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 19:50 »
I was going to try and blag the "ahem" off cuts from work when we lay cables, but we mainly seem to be using 32mm which wont fit over the scaffold tube, but might fit in it..... now theres a thought.  :idea:

shaun

Broad Fork
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 19:54 »
yes try and blagg some mate  depends on how much you can blag and how big your tunnel will be.got half a roll of 50mm on me van now if you want to come and get it  :lol:  :wink:

muntjac

Broad Fork
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 20:44 »
think of the biceps on ya woman digging with that guys  :wink:  :lol:
still alive /............

Bigbadfrankie

Broad Fork
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 21:07 »
What does it do where is the engine all confused now need some rest :lol:
always have a target
and an objective.

Huzey

Broad Fork
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 21:28 »
I reckon on the tunnel being 10' x 6', on the plot where I used to keep my chickens, and where I buried my cat last week.  :cry:
If I remember rightly from that link that was on here, 19' of duct/pipe gives an 8' headroom on a 10' wide tunnel, so if I try to get hold of 60' of 32mm duct, I should have loads.

Muntjac, I'd better not let SWMBO anywhere near it as her biceps are huge already!!

Frankie, I havent fitted the engine mounts yet, but have got a spare V8 ready to fit!!
Huzey

Trillium

Broad Fork
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 04:13 »
did your clicky, Huzey, and instantly recognized that broadfork as the one John Jeavons swears by. Too bad you don't have his book to get a closer look at the angle on his. No idea if he makes his own or buys them. Sure wish I had one to break up the hardpan under my soil. Just have to figure where to mount the engine  :lol:

Huzey

Broad Fork
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 06:26 »
Hi Trillium
Just did a quick search on John Jeavons, and from what I have seen of him, he works along the same lines as eliot coleman
All very interesting ideas.
Regards Huzey.

Trillium

Broad Fork
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 16:10 »
I believe I still have John Jeavons book somewhere, still packed in one of the many boxes here. If memory serves, he followed the French Intensive method of Allan Chadwick (a Brit). Eliot Coleman is a latter day Jeavons, all organic and 'be kind to the soil' type.  Lee Valley Tools in Canada sell a broadfork version but it's quite pricey.
Never could get myself into the One Straw Revolution system - far too many pernicious weeds around here.

leeky

Broad Fork
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 19:06 »
silly question.... how does one use it?   :oops:

xx
Fork

Started by Flump on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post November 19, 2012, 16:16
by arugula
xx
which fork to buy

Started by toodoo9011 on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post August 18, 2016, 15:49
by snow white
xx
New fork

Started by Plot94 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post October 21, 2019, 19:13
by jezza
xx
New fork recommendations

Started by Plot94 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2020, 09:03
by jezza

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 37 queries.