Stock-piling

• 13 Replies

mrs bouquet

Stock-piling
« on: June 05, 2020, 12:26 »
I wonder if you have got any of your stock-pile left (that's if you did any).   I seem to have got some tins of soup and tins of different pulses.    So I shall be having soup and pulse casseroles.  :lol:
I bet you've not got your alcohol stock-pile left   :D :D  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Goosegirl

Re: Stock-piling
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 13:12 »
MB. One has to keep ahead of these things that you can't do without so, apart from boxes of vino collapso, we have tins of baked beans, new and chipping potatoes, various types of fish in the freezer and other stuff to use before we move home. Not stock-piling but using up what we have.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 13:16 »
Have you got a date yet gg? I didn’t stock pile any more than I usually do, I always have a good store of things in, we very rarely run out of anything, my son & family were living with us during most of lockdown but when they moved out a few weeks ago, we shared what we had, which left space for me to restock. Plus I’ve finally managed to buy plain & self raising flour so now have 2 bags of each in my stock cupboard in the garage
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

jezza

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 18:25 »
Hello I've just been chatting to a friend in Africa they've no eggs or chicken  they can't get yeast it's used to make illegal pineapple beer flours in short supply if any one stockpiled they had their stock confiscated and were fined they have no smoking or drinking allowed and any one cutting lawns is fined  jezza

GraciesGran

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 19:22 »
I have enough knitting yarn to last at least two years, it was a really good offer!!!,  well that what I told my husbsnd..  We also seem to have vast quantities of dog biscuits and chocolate.  Mostly we are at normal stock levels.

jaydig

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 19:25 »
Luckily I have a back lobby area where the freezers are, and I have shelving space in there too, so it acts as a sort of "larder".   I always keep a stock of tinned goods, sauces, pastas and lots of basic items there to save space in my kitchen cupboards. I have always bought extras of things when they are on offer and so I'm reasonably well off for basics.  It fascinates my daughter-in-law, who loves to stand there perusing the shelves and she says it's just like a little shop.  I don't overdo it, but it's good to know that we've got the makings of quite a few different meals, and the original intention was a) to save money by only buying certain things when they're on offer, and b) so that we have stocks should the weather (in the winter, of course), or illness, prevent our getting out and about for a week or two.  It has stood us in good stead over the last few weeks, but is now looking decidedly depleted.

chrissie B

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 11:46 »
I too keep lots of tins  always have . Flour and yeast have been a problem but I've managed , we shop fortnightly at the moment to lessen the cue time.
I think you just have to think outside the box when it comes to shopping , no use moaning over what you carnt get just take what you can .
Chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 14:47 »
I still have my stock pile and restock it once a week....cupboards/fridge/freezers full...I start to panic if I can see space.

my husband calls our garage 'arkwrights' (from open all hours) and loves doing a click and collect from there with the electric garage door.....we also have an 'arkwrights metro'...otherwise known as under the stairs :lol:

if we had to isolate, we could manage for ages without shopping.

I am currently finding shopping a lot scarier than when we were on lockdown...people seem to have thrown caution to the wind and are not socially distancing, so im actually going out less now than lockdown as im really worried this is going to kick off big time soon.  I wish they would make face coverings law when out in public, whilst they see where this is going. :(

Christine

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 17:24 »
I've been a stock-piling fan since I had the knee operation back end of October last year. It comes on a delivery van from the supermarket of choice to allow for quantity. I've seen nothing on the takeaways advertised locally that I choose to eat not being an omnivore, so it's what's in the cupboards ....

Methinks it will be a goodly long time before the situation improves and we can all go to our favourite eateries again.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 11:46 »
I've been a stock-piling fan since I had the knee operation back end of October last year. It comes on a delivery van from the supermarket of choice to allow for quantity. I've seen nothing on the takeaways advertised locally that I choose to eat not being an omnivore, so it's what's in the cupboards ....

Methinks it will be a goodly long time before the situation improves and we can all go to our favourite eateries again.

I am beginning to think, given age, that it may not be in my lifetime.   ::) ::)  Mrs Bouquet

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2020, 15:14 »
When 'slots' were as rare as hen's teeth, we gave up, and I decided to just get out during the 'oldies' hour at Waitrose, which has been surprisingly successful for everyone in the village.

The staff there have been fabulous, plenty of banter and laughter and full shelves, and also, plenty of room to keep away from others, as there's a guy on the door letting people in and out!

At least I am in control of what I want/need to do, rather than be told by someone...

We do seem to have bought a lot of Ambrosia Custard, which is a favourite here...:0)

DanielCoffey

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2020, 22:33 »
Flour should no longer be a problem. One of the biggest online mills has removed the queue from its website and opened up as normal now.

I did have to order instant yeast from either Amazon or eBay because fresh was unavailable. If you do, check where it is coming from as many folks in China are sending it surface mail with 2-3 month delivery which is longer than the dispute process in Amazon. If it never turns up you risk being out of pocket. I got a 500g pack dispatched from the UK for £12.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2020, 11:32 »
I ordered some on ebay delivery was due in 3 days, and it arrived on time. A bit more expensive than normal, because of paying for delivery, but needs must atm!

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2020, 14:37 »
We always make a version of a quick elderberry wine, and dried elderberries have been in short supply...

Online, we found a site where they supply 1 Litre bottles of concentrate, which was far more expensive, but the quality is so good, that it may well change our style, spend a quid more, but get much more, especially as I don't have to stand there watching it all boil for three hours, and Mrs Growster tells me to get rid of the awful pong, otherwise, I'll get clobbered with the preserving pan, or whatever I'm using at the time!

There's something in all this make-do-and-mend... 'wartime spirit'...?

xx
Stock Piling

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

238 Replies
Last post April 19, 2020, 09:40
by WeavingGryphon
xx
Trading Hut Stock

Started by Christine on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post June 08, 2022, 16:24
by Christine

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 54 queries.