Mackerel Baps

• 4 Replies

ex-cavator

Mackerel Baps
« on: January 21, 2011, 19:14 »
Following the intro to mackerel baps on Hugh's Fish Fight, I couldn't resist on seeing some nice mackerel fillets on the supermarket fish counter today. Couldn't find any baps, so bought some 'Finest' part baked ciabatta rolls.

Just had them tonight and they were magical - fillets coated in beaten egg & floured, fried for a couple of minutes each side in a little olive oil, and placed in a hot roll with lashings of tartare sauce (or you could have horseradish).

Mackerel is a fish that I usually gind a bit too rich - often have it and then end up regretting it - butdone this way it is superb - I think the roll & the cool tartare offset the richness of the fish somewhat - even the OH gave it 10/10, and she is not particularly fond of fish at the best of times.

Please give it a go and help to preserve our Cod population  :D

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Mackerel Baps
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 19:17 »
Following the intro to mackerel baps on Hugh's Fish Fight, I couldn't resist on seeing some nice mackerel fillets on the supermarket fish counter today.

It's the right time of year, isn't it? ;)  :tongue2:
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 19:52 »
I've been having mackerel on toast for years....its yummy and also smoked mackerel sandwiches.

Must admit not too sure on it being battered or fried though.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 20:10 »
I can recommend a fresh mackeral sandwich. On charter boat trips it was common to stop and feather mackerel for bait then fry a few fillets for sandwiches while steaming out to the days main fishing mark.  :)
IMO any mackerel kept on ice (or fridged ) more than 3 days from capture is poor by comparison and frozen mackerel is only fit for bait. 

Fresh (or smoked) it is my favourite fish .

Inshore mackerel time is May to Nov on the south coast but they are netted and line caught in the deep water off Cornwall all year round and landed fresh daily.

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 10:04 »
There's a great "fishermans hut" on Hastings beach were you get fish baps on a weekend morning. Fantastic !  :)
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

xx
Mc Fruity Mackerel

Started by Bodger on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post October 05, 2007, 13:07
by muntjac
xx
Mc Fruity mackerel Recipe

Started by Bodger on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post August 28, 2007, 10:13
by Bodger
xx
smoked mackerel pate

Started by rainie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post December 31, 2012, 12:33
by arugula

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 38 queries.