Development of the chick - candling pics (day 1-21) video of hatching!

• 48 Replies

Casey76

I hope that this thread will be interesting and useful to everyone :)

On Saturday 26th March I set 8 porcelain Sabelpoot eggs from my pair of porceialin sabelpoots.  The eggs were laid over 11 days, and they are all dated on the egg.  So far I have 100% fertility in my other Sabelpoot eggs I've set so far.

The eggs are very nice (even if I do say so myself ;) ), they are even in shape and size.  The shell is not overly porus, the shells do not have wrinkles, or calcium deposits.

Day 1:

Nothing to see yet, and the air cell is still very small, near the light.  In the second pic, the slightly darker shadow which can be seen is the egg yolk.

Day 2

Again, not much to see at this stage. The aircell is still too small to be seen (though as they are sabelpoot eggs, it will remain small :)

Day 3:

and in case you can't make it out very well...

We have life!

How big is the difference between day 2 and day 3?  Already the embryo is starting to grow a visible network of veins :)

Day 4

and again with the outline on:

Things are really cooking now ;) you can see how much the network of veins has grown in 24 hours, and how much  bigger the actual embryo is (this is the circle in the middle of the spiderweb of veins).

What I think is especially amazing, that even though these are two different eggs, the pattern of veins is almost identical!

Day 5:

By now the embryo has completely surrounded itself in a blood island.  If you look closely you can see the heart beating, and the black dot of the eye is clearly visible.

Day 6

Day 7

Video of heart beat (click!)

Many people do a preliminary candle at day 7 to test for fertility... all my eggs are fertile ;)
We have now gone past the spider of veins and now the embroy is forming at a very rapid rate.  In the video you can see it swishig about as the force of the heart beat makes the whole embryo move.

Day 8

Day 9

Day 10

I recommend candling on day 10.  At this point is it usually very clear if the egg is fertile and growing.  If the egg was not fertile, it would look like a day 1 egg, perhaps with a bigger air cell.

Day 11

So here we are at the half way point.  You can see how big the embryo is getting.  From here to day 18, it becomes more and more difficult to see more than a dark area iin the egg.

Sorry for the delay, photobucket was being very tempremental for me :(

Day 12

With a bit of adjustment you can see a little more - just

Day 13, and things get very dark from now on...

Day 14

Even enhancing doesn't have too much of effect...

Day 15

Day 16 - thes eggs are just sooo full now... not long till lock down!

Day 17

Day 18

Day 20:

1 out, 7 to go... hopefully!

Day 21
8/8 hatched

video of chick hatching
video of chicks in incubator
last one :)
video of chick number 7 hatching

I hope everyone has enjoyed the past 21 days, and I'll try to up date this thread every now and again as they grow :)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 11:36 by Casey76 »

jinty1911

Re: Development of the chick during incubation - candling pics
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 18:26 »
This is going to be fascinating.  Thanks for taking the time to show us what happens.  :D

pigeonpie

Thank you Casey, as Jinty says it's going to be fascinating.

Although, it does rather make me hungry for boiled eggs...!!!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Brilliant photo's Casey.  This will be very interesting for people trying to hatch for the first time.

hillfooter

Should be a useful post.
HF
Truth through science.

helens-hens

Fantastic pictures. Casey, in what you have outlined, am I right in thinking that is the shape of the chick developing i.e. head, abdomen & wings?

Its really interesting and only going to get more so!
Helen

Pol

• Pauline
Thanks Casey brilliant photo's and more to come :D
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
fascinating photos Casey, as I always use a broody hen and never candle eggs (very difficult with blue eggs) this is lovely to see - even more so as it is for new poots. Can I adopt them  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

Casey76

Sure Joy, you can have all of my cockerels ;)  They are all porcelain so very very pwetty!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
noooooooooooo got 2 lemon cockerels already, just need some girlies for them  :D

jinty1911

Amazing  :D  :D

PaulineM

Absolutely amazing  :)
Do you use a proper candling torch or what?
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

Casey76

I use a hi lume torch from ebay (cost about £8) and a rubber "hood" which is from a proper candler (but the candler is so poor you can't see very much at all)

Pol

• Pauline

Milly

• Experienced Member
I've never seen pictures like that before, thanks for taking the trouble to post them. Very interesting, I'm looking forward to the next chapter.

xx
HATCHING TIMES FOR VARIOUS EGGS

Started by muntjac on Poultry FAQs and other Information

2 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 12:32
by Aunt Sally
xx
Things to consider before Hatching Chicks

Started by Foxy on Poultry FAQs and other Information

14 Replies
Last post June 30, 2010, 07:12
by joyfull
exclamation
Incubators and chick rearing

Started by Aunt Sally on Poultry FAQs and other Information

108 Replies
Last post September 29, 2020, 23:05
by polishbunnies

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 39 queries.