Chicken behaviour-tackling fellow birds?

• 0 Replies

caroline17

Chicken behaviour-tackling fellow birds?
« on: July 05, 2010, 23:48 »
i'm not sure if any of you have witnessed the following behaviour in chickens but here goes.

We have two hens, and the most dominant in the pecking order Enid is the first to any food, leaving the leftovers for Morag. Morag is really good natured and even if she finds a caterpillar she will cluck loudly asking Enid if she wants first dibbs!

However, Morag saw a busy blackbird gathering food for her chicks and she saw that I had just left half an apple on the ground for a well deserved vitamin c boost!Enid made a dash a few feet away from and towards the apple just as the blackbird was pecking it;Morag pre-empted her before she reached it, grabbed her by the neck so she was nearly on the ground, and Enid bolted in the opposite direction in fright! Morag wasn't in the least bit interested in the apple, she was defending the blackbird's right to it and teaching Enid not to be so greedy!I would not have believed it and thank goodness I had a witness. Most peculiar thing I've seen in a long time! :nowink:

xx
Is this normal behaviour?

Started by uba on Chicken Chat

19 Replies
Last post January 20, 2011, 12:08
by uba
xx
Stupid birds!

Started by Ben_H on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post August 30, 2011, 15:13
by Elcie
xx
table birds

Started by dannyboy2010 on Chicken Chat

27 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 23:43
by ANHBUC
xx
young Birds

Started by pepsi100 on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post February 20, 2012, 11:03
by kegs

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 35 queries.