Anyone use PowerPoint?

• 7 Replies

Goosegirl

Anyone use PowerPoint?
« on: March 11, 2023, 09:33 »
I go to a weekly leisure club at the local institute where I have been so warmly greeted (they're all like that round here) but the lady who organises the weekly talks is running out of new speakers. Having given her two people to contact it's possible that I might give a talk on the rise and fall of Cockersand Abbey either later on this year or the beginning of next. One of them put me onto Canva but I can't get my numpty head around it so have reverted to PowerPoint which I learnt years ago. It's going well so far but now need to sort out the few slides I've already done in the order I want them to appear and can't remember how to do it. I'll also have to buy a little laser pen so I can point to various places on the maps. I'll also need some sort of mini torch as they put the lights out during the talk so I won't be able to see my prompt notes! ???
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Anyone use PowerPoint?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2023, 18:23 »
If you open the PPT presentation, you can view it in a number of ways - one is like a preview with thumbnails down the left and the main slide visible in the largest part of the screen. Another is essentially like a series of postcards on the screen.

Either way, you can move the sequence around by putting your mouse over the slide you want to move (either the thumbnail, or the postcard), holding down the left mouse key, and dragging it to the desired location. Like drag and drop.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2023, 09:17 »
Thank you so much Yorkie. I'm trying to reduce wot I rote from something like War and Peace to about 40 minutes, so I'll have to have a go talking it through before I settle on what I want to show and tell. Just added two pics; the first is the Abbey excavation committee of 1923 (love the lady with a leg at each corner) and the second one is the Ceremonial Cross that was secreted away before the Dissolution and is brought out for people to see at the Chapter House Open Day weekend every September.
Abbey ceremonial cross (429 x 600).jpg
Abbey 1923 18474 (600 x 390).jpg

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023, 14:38 »
As Columbo would say, just one more thing. A few pictorial pages in my doc are in portrait rather than landscape and aren't transposing properly. I have one that is a map of Thurnham with small text boxes to show relevant places. I copied and pasted it into my Word doc and all the tags disappeared! How do I overcome this?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2023, 21:05 »
Text boxes are usually separate from the map image, so if that's the case they won't copy across in one item.

One thing you can try is doing a screenshot - or a "snip" of what you see. Are you on a Windows device?

Get your map with text boxes on the screen. Then search in the box on the bottom left of the screen on the toolbar, and click on the icon called Snipping Tool.
A little box will appear on screen, called Snipping Tool and with New in the left side of it.
Click New, and the page will go a little faint, with your cursor turning to a + sign rather than a mouse or line.
You are going to put the cursor at one corner of the map, and then hold your left mouse button down to drag and drop until you have drawn a rectangle around all of the map and its text boxes.
Then release your mouse left button. The image you've just drawn a rectangle around is now copied to the Clipboard in the same way as any other time you use the Copy function.

Go to the document you  want to put it into, then Paste (control V, or right click Paste, or using the Paste icon).
The rectangle image of the map / text will appear in the new document.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2023, 11:08 »
You have such a great way of explaining how to do this. Just one thing, my pic was added to my Microsoft Word doc so there are no boxes on bottom left or anywhere else, so I printed it out as a photo, pasted it into a new PP slide, then cropped it so it fitted into the portrait-sized slide.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2023, 12:42 »
Glad you found a way to work it.

For future ref, the box at the bottom left is not in the Word document. It's on the bottom toolbar on the screen, next to the Windows icon. In my screen it has a magnifying glass and Type here to search in it.

The Snip tool is one of the greatest tools if you do a lot of capturing of screenshots  :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2023, 13:33 »
Love the picture of the committee.

A hat makes everyone ‘grand’.  :D

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 37 queries.