What I did on the plot today 2023

• 158 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
What I did on the plot today 2023
« on: January 01, 2023, 09:14 »
A shared thread of our gardening exploits, so let us all know what you have been up to  :)

Link to last year’s thread :

https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=135843.0
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 09:15 by New shoot »

snowdrops

Re: What I did on the plot today 2023
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 11:31 »
So far on my first trip to the chickens this year I just walked round the site x 2 to get a bit of exercise, but it is rather sunny out there so I might be back with an update lol
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 16:37 »
 Well I’m back having spent a lovely 3 or 4 hours in the garden. Decided I’d wet & forget the patio as it’s so slippy & slimy. But first it needed clearing & sweeping which was a tad difficult as there was a breeze:unsure:
Also cut down the herb bed- note to self to redo it this year as the marjoram or oregano has taken over, just need to obtain some poor soil & I might dig it all out & start again. Also gave the patio troughs a prune, weed & tidy to save mucking the patio once I’d swept & sprayed. All sprayed & down the entry done too so a bonus.
Then I was still raring to go so I got out the leaf vacuum & did all round the greenhouse & the steps up to it, with the thought that if we get the promised weather the same as today tomorrow I’ll clear the paths around there & the shed & wet & forget that, we’ll see :D. Then I trundled the wheel barrow of pruning’s & a bag full of chopped leaves to the plot on my afternoon visit to the chicken girls.
What a cracking start to the New Year, might copy & paste this onto my gardening diary too & kick start that off again :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 16:10 »
Got as far as opening the gates and that left me nearly ankle-deep in mud  ::) so shut them again and came home. Be some while before it'll be worth trying again, I think *sigh*

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 18:32 »
Got as far as opening the gates and that left me nearly ankle-deep in mud  ::) so shut them again and came home. Be some while before it'll be worth trying again, I think *sigh*

I was thinking of going this weekend, but I fear the same fate *sigh*

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 18:43 »
Oh that’s a shame for you both. We can get on ours but it is very wet so I’m staying off mine apart from pulling weeds for the chickens & a bit of tending in the tunnel.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2023, 01:13 »
I spent some time building a secure fence around the remainder of my back yard plot, similar to the fence I built around raised beds 1, 2, and 3 last year.  It should be complete by March if the weather cooperates.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Aled

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2023, 18:26 »
Put some wood ash over the veg patch, and looked in my compost dalek! Its a start.

Odders

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2023, 17:23 »
Dug another dozen or so bricks out of my new plot this afternoon & discovered there's no more than 3-4" of soil over the top of rough quarry waste on this part too.  :(
I also stripped the 12" of soil from up the side of the plot where I'm putting a 2' wide paved path & will strip the soil off the quarry waste & use it under the path, at the back of where the polytunnel is going & anywhere else which won't be used to grow stuff.
Then I'll use the stripped soil to partially refill, plus 6 ton of topsoil I have coming from my farmer friend.
Might have 8-10" across the whole plot after that (I'll keep growing carrots, parsnips etc. at home, where I have 2' of good black soil.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2023, 22:48 »
Sounds like you have a job ahead of  you Odders, but yes, it's a start! 

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2023, 19:11 »
I've been chitting tomato and biquinho pepper seeds and transplanting them into cardboard "pots" made from kitchen paper rolls.  Most of the seeds have chitted just fine, though Marmande tomatoes are being slow to germinate (or are maybe not viable?).  I'll keep an eye on the Marmande, as I thought my Stupice tomato seeds were not viable (until they all sprouted at once!  :D )

I also applied some water-soluble fertilizer to my spinach, tatsoi, and lettuce.  We are alternating warm and cold spells, but the plants are growing.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 19:15 by Subversive_plot »

Odders

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2023, 00:34 »
Sounds like you have a job ahead of  you Odders, but yes, it's a start!

After clearing another 10' wide chunk of 4" deep, twitch infested soil this afternoon, I decided to explore the southern end of the plot.
Good news; there's at least a spade's depth of half decent black topsoil with little in the way of twitch. I'll now strip off some of it where I'll be laying the path & use it on the upper part where the polytunnel's to go.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2023, 00:20 »
More work on the garden fence today, and probably more of the same tomorrow. There's a lot of drilling holes to attach some webbing to the fence. After drilling, I need to construct a tricky section of fence that is going around a large yellow poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera).  The fence will need painting before I attach the webbing, that may need to wait a couple weekends for better weather.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2023, 21:14 »
More work on the fence today.

Buried a dead squirrel (not in the garden) that fell out of one of our pine trees. Landed right next to raised bed #5.  Burial better than reeking in the wheelie bin for a week. The critters jump from tree to tree 120 feet off the ground, I'm amazed it doesn't happen more often.

Planted more cilantro and spinach in raised beds # 1 and # 4.  Also planted red tatsoi, bok choi, and Chinese cabbage (Napa type) in #4.

Chitting snap peas and snow peas to replace some killed by our big freeze before the holidays.

Packed up some tomato, pepper, and other seeds to share with my sister in Indianapolis.

Odders

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2023, 23:12 »
Dug holes for three polytunnel anchor plates & tubes & set two of them.
Hard work when you find 20kg chunks of concrete & numerous large pieces of quarry waste a few inches down.
Laser level makes getting these in properly a LOT easier & also showed I've more than enough soil in the middle of the area to bring the rest up to the desired level.
Interesting to see the effect of all this work on my blood pressure: Gone from borderline hypertension to normal in two weeks, which proves that sitting inside on yer bum all day is bad for you. :nowink:

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 18, 2024, 19:19
by vikingraider
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy

Page created in 0.403 seconds with 53 queries.