Freezing Swede

• 6 Replies

mrs bouquet

Freezing Swede
« on: October 26, 2022, 14:09 »
I cannot cut swede.  Sainsburgers, sell it diced, so do trashco.   The former is cheaper, unless I buy 3 from the second.  If I buy three can I just chuck a couple in the freezer ?
I read a recipe which says to cook it in the microwave, then scoup the flesh out - sounds strange to me.
Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Lardman

Re: Freezing Swede
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2022, 14:50 »
Freezing is fine.  Trashco also sell frozen bags of mixed swede / turnip / carrot as mixed casserole veg, easy enough to separate.

I can't cut them now either  :( I'm not sure about nuking them, I'd imagine they'd explode like an un pricked spud does.

Most places usually sell it mashed with carrot or spud too  ;)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 15:03 by Lardman »

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2022, 17:26 »
I can still cut it so I buy the biggest one if it’s priced per swede & not per kg, cut it up & just freeze it. I find it easier to peel though once it’s been hacked into large pieces. I’ve heard of microwaving them whole recently but not tried it,but for the cost of a bag I’d just freeze it Mrs B, I take it you mean a fresh bag? Bet you can buy already frozen.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2022, 18:03 »

Haloween Pumpkins, Pshaaw.  Tell todays sprogs to dig out the innards of a swede using a sharpened spoon!  :D Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2022, 18:30 »

Haloween Pumpkins, Pshaaw.  Tell todays sprogs to dig out the innards of a swede using a sharpened spoon!  :D Cheers,  Tony.

Sharpened, ours weren’t, nobody told us! we just used the strongest spoon we had which was a soup spoon!

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2022, 11:55 »
Lat year we got swedes from our local supermarket (Booth's) and also from a local farm produce shop and neither of them tasted like swedes used to do so this year I grew some. Baa - maybe it was the hot weather but they looked ok until they were pulled out. More baa - they went to the chucks.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2022, 13:33 »
I like swede sometimes, but can no longer cut it, so I bought it ready diced.  Three bags for the price of two.
I have put them into the freezer and they have been fine.   Mrs Bouquet

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 42 queries.