Allotment rent increases

• 27 Replies

jaydig

Allotment rent increases
« on: July 27, 2022, 09:02 »
Has anyone else been notified of an increase of 35%+ for the rent of their plot?  I know that unless all other leisure facilities are being increase by the same amount this is an illegal move on their part, so we are gathering as much information as possible before we take them to task on this.

It would be interesting to know what others are being charged before we question our local council.  They provide no services to us whatsoever throughout the year so we are at a loss as to how they can justify this massive increase, particularly considering that many of our plot holders are pensioners or people on lower incomes who want to provide food for their families.

Any input would be appreciated.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: Allotment rent increases
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 11:18 »
I don't pretend to know your tax laws, but over here, our property values have gone up a lot, and so have our property taxes.  Could it be related to that?  I think our property tax increase this year would be close to 30 percent.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

jaydig

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 13:37 »
I don't pretend to know your tax laws, but over here, our property values have gone up a lot, and so have our property taxes.  Could it be related to that?  I think our property tax increase this year would be close to 30 percent.
It's different over here, allotment rents are linked, by law, to the prices charged for any other community leisure activity, for example, swimming, bowling, tennis court hire, etc., and have to be what is deemed as reasonable. Any increase has to be within the parameters of, in the case of allotments, The Allotment Act 1950, which covers all aspects of allotment gardening.
The allotment rent in another area has been increased by 7%, which is more or less in line with the legal restraints, but we really need to know what percentage other areas are increasing their rents by in order to put the numbers forward in our objections to this.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2022, 17:00 »
We don't get invoiced until September, so won't know 'til then.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 17:34 »
It is steep, but when were prices last put up, and how much were / are they charging?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

jaydig

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 18:15 »
It is steep, but when were prices last put up, and how much were / are they charging?

Current charge is £49.80 per 1/16th acre plot.  We had a massive 38% rise back in 2013, and rises since then have averaged 3-5%, more or less in line with inflation. The latest rise is around 35% on the current charge. We have no input from the council, nothing extra is provided and the council officer rarely sets foot onsite. As I mentioned, it would be useful to know what other councils are doing with increases to rents, just as a guideline. We don't usually get our invoices until September, like MoS, but there is a notice on the site gates informing us of the new charges.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2022, 18:27 »
So it's going up from about £50 to about £67 for a standard size plot of about 300 sq yards.

Ours were £96 for a similar size plot in 2017 or 2018, when a newly-set up charitable trust took over management of the various sites across the city from the council. They were not breaking even at that point, and if the council continued to manage them, the rents would have had to go up further to cover the cost.

However, since the trust is now managed by volunteers, rents have not gone up since then, although with inflationary pressures on the various contracts that exist, they may have to do so at some point.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 20:57 by Yorkie »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2022, 20:07 »
Our council Allotment Project Officer has told us to expect rents to increase by 25%.  They were due to do it this year, but had council elections in May and didn’t want to make a move before this.  His explanation and he wondered why there was a bit of eye rolling at that point.

We have got some older plot holders that are heavily subsidised and pay around £6 to £9 pa, whereas the rest of us pay more like £35 to £50 pa. It’s not clear yet whether the 25% is just them coming into line with us or a flat 25% for everyone.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2022, 17:16 »
No sign of an increase yet as ours are renewed in September.
One ominous thought is that the water use may have gone up due to the very hot weather. Having said that rather too many plot holders have neglected their plots so that may balance out. At present the plan is for us to make way for yet more housing so one can only plan short term! My shed is virtually collapsing but I’m not buying a new one any time soon. Apologies for rant. At present I think the cost will rise by 10% or less.
Keep digging

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2022, 19:07 »
Our rent is £30 a year for a standard plot. We have been told it will go up to £33 next year. It has gone up by a pound or so every year for the last 6-7 years so it's a bigger rise but only 10%! We only get a water supply.

Boston digger

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2022, 03:21 »
Our site was run by the council up until 9 years ago when we formed a association and run the site ourselves
We were prompted to do this by the council , Working well now for the last 9 years  :)

jaydig

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2022, 08:21 »
Thanks very much for all of your input, it has been useful.  The actual percentage rise we are facing is, in fact, 38%.  All rises over the past years have been more or less in line with charges for other leisure activities in the area, but the council will not tell us what the proposed increases are for these for the coming year. As I mentioned that last big increase we had was in 2013, followed up until now with normal increases.  Many, many plots have been left untenanted despite a lengthy waiting list and the allotment site is right in the middle of an area that is undergoing massive housing development. It would be in the council's interests to close the site and sell it off profitably, which, although it is a statutory permanent site, could be achieved if they appeal to the relevant Secretary of State.   Many plotholders are going to give up in the face of this rent rise, which is likely the intent.  Time will tell.

Boston digger

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2022, 13:58 »
the council will not tell us what the proposed increases are

What about the freedom of information act ? ,
Have you approached them about forming an association , You run the site they charge you a yearly rent .

Philip Connolly

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2023, 09:45 »
Our lovely council = Welwyn-Hatfield = has just informed us that allotment rates are to rise by 300%.  From £12.50 per 25 sq m to £37.50. 

I understand the 1950 Allotments Act stipulates rents must be reasonable - a 300% increase putting our rates far higher than neighbouring councils does not sound reasonable to us.

The only justifications the council gives are: 
1.  Higher contractor costs
2.  Increased use of water (not all the sites have mains water)
3.  "Administration"

We have requested the council to put some figures on these reasons and are publicising our planight.

Anyone have experience with this issue?  Any ideas on how we can get the council to reconsider?

Thanks, Philip

Old Risby Boy

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2023, 10:37 »
We have a rise in plot payments this year, it was £20.00 per Plot now going up to£25.00, reason cost of water!!

xx
Allotment Rent

Started by Ratstail on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post March 13, 2019, 22:17
by mumofstig
xx
Rent renewals ICT question

Started by cardoon queen on Chatting on the Plot

12 Replies
Last post February 07, 2022, 21:25
by Yorkie
xx
Plot rent increased

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post August 26, 2019, 20:35
by snowdrops
xx
new to me allotment

Started by Debz on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post April 06, 2018, 19:39
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 52 queries.