Wasp sting ?

• 4 Replies

mrs bouquet

Wasp sting ?
« on: June 28, 2022, 11:53 »
My friend was trying to dig in her garden, and there were many wasp like creatures under a large leaf very close to the ground.   One has stung her and her leg has really swollen it is painful and itchy.    Would these be wasps ?   and where would their nest be ?   Mr Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

jaydig

Re: Wasp sting ?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 14:51 »
There are wasps that live in the ground if it is sandy or light enough.  Perhaps it was a nest of these that your friend disturbed.

wighty

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 17:10 »
I always have one of those sachets of vinegar in my bag as that seems to help take the initial 'sting' out of the bite.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 20:54 »
We have wasps here that live in the ground, similar to what jaydig described, except ours seem to live in many kinds of soil.  Ours are banded yellow and black, we call them yellow jackets.  On a positive note, our yellowjackets are predators of insect pests.

Your friend might want to ask a medical professional about taking an antihistamine.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

jezza

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 13:14 »
Hello the nest could have been under the leaf it would be a hole no bigger than an inch across,I I strimmed the top of a wasps nest and accidentally stood in it last year ,I had my trousers stuck in my socks the little blighters found a split in the leg seam,I had to take my trousers off to get them out ,they stung me ,my anti histamine was 1/4  mile away in my van   jezza

xx
Nettle sting, am I being a wimp?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post October 01, 2021, 14:03
by Lardman
xx
Wasp nest in the ground

Started by Trees on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post September 05, 2018, 12:06
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 40 queries.