Is this really a coldframe?

• 3 Replies

Spookess

Is this really a coldframe?
« on: March 15, 2022, 11:30 »
Hi all. This is advertised as a mini-greenhouse, but I was just wondering if you thought it might work as a coldframe? We get a lot of rabbits on our allotment site, so something like this where I can just lift the lids for ventilation during the day and leave the doors closed might be ideal if it will work?

New to growing veg so never had to use a coldframe or anything before. Hope you can help.
SmartSelect_20220315-112556_Samsung Internet.jpg
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 11:32 by Spookess »

Growster...

Re: Is this really a coldframe?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 18:10 »
It could work, Spookess, but we bought one for a daught a few years ago, and it really wasn't very robust, I'm sorry to say!

They're not cheap for what they are, and maybe just another poke around online might be a better bet!

Sorry to be a spoiler, but I wasn't really impressed with the quality, and the clear panels didn't stay in for long after just a tiny bit of wind!

Can you get hold of some old windows, and a few bricks/concrete blocks? They may look a bit ugly, but could solve your issue! I've done it in the past..;0)

Plot94

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 15:32 »
Hi Spookess
We got one of these in Aldi last year for about £30 and have had it in the garden since. So far it has been great, during the recent storms it had very little in it and was blown over twice and sustained no damage whatsoever. I might be a little wary of using it in an exposed position but if you have a reasonably sheltered corner I would say they are definitely worth a go.

Spookess

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2022, 17:37 »
It would be in a sheltered position. I was also thinking of using silicone or something around all the panels to hold them in more securely (or tacks).
If it doesn't work, I can always find another use for it - allotment bar perhaps 😉🤣

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 38 queries.