growing in a polytunnel

• 5 Replies

jambop

growing in a polytunnel
« on: December 20, 2021, 11:58 »

I have a polytunnel but have only ever used it for raising plants. I am building another one and intend to grow in it. Is the standard method of gardening in a polytunnels using raised no dig beds?

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: growing in a polytunnel
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 14:57 »
Personally I have 2 side beds and a centre bed - but the tunnel is 16' wide. Because polytunnel growing space is premium, you want all the soil to be as good as you can get it.

You can see the planned layout here: Planning the Polytunnel

Only actual difference is the centre bed doesn't have a crossover path now.  Many larger polytunnels are just a single growing bed.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 16:26 »
Mine is 14ft wide (new this year) & I went with 3ft beds down each side & about 5ft wide in the middle with a mulched path all round, no raised beds for me although I’m tempted this year to try some competition style carrot & parsnips in there in  some sort of raised tub or barrel
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2021, 18:06 »
And my two are 3m wide, with a central path just wide enough to manoeuvre a wheelbarrow when needed.  These are not raised beds, just edged with wood to stop soil falling onto the path. The two tunnels give me four beds in total each 12 long, which broadly speaking means I can manage a crop rotation after a fashion.

I wouldn't be without them!!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

jambop

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2021, 18:18 »
Thanks for the replies. I have decided on two raised 1.4m beds each side with a walkway down the middle big enough for a wheel barrow. The doors will be sliding so beds are full length. Should be plenty of room for the crops I am planning which will be mainly winter crops of salad and autumn grown garlic as I have found that just when the garlic should be getting going rust decimates it. I have some staging brackets so it will be fixed to one side but hinged so only down when needed . After I have the new tunnel up and running I am going to completely rebuild the old one do the same there which should allow me to grow some decent amounts of winter and early spring salad crops. I may also try a few salad tomatoes in the summer for although outdoor toms do great here I have to treat them for blight. The ones grown in the tunnel should be much cleaner ... best laid plans eh :lol:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 20:25 by jambop »

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2021, 19:40 »
And my two are 3m wide, with a central path just wide enough to manoeuvre a wheelbarrow when needed.  These are not raised beds, just edged with wood to stop soil falling onto the path. The two tunnels give me four beds in total each 12 long, which broadly speaking means I can manage a crop rotation after a fashion.

I wouldn't be without them!!

Hi Sunny, nice to ‘see’ you here  :)

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 41 queries.