ive just delivered

• 10 Replies

chrissie B

ive just delivered
« on: February 20, 2014, 13:01 »
from my oven my first realy crusty loaf of bread , I have high hopes for this one waiting for it to cool .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

allotmentann

Re: ive just delivered
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 13:17 »
Well done! Is it singing to you as it cools? I love that crackling sound. Lots of steam in the beginning is what gives you a crispy crust, followed by hot, dry heat. I love bread baking. I have just made my first ever croissant, and am totally surprised that they have come out really well, I was expecting disaster! But even with my mistakes, they are better than any I have eaten before.  :)

chrissie B

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 18:36 »
well done allways thought they were hard to do, they are nice though , maybe you can explain why putting steam in the oven gives the crispy crust logic says its moisture , why does it work
chrissie b

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 20:23 »
This is the reason from baking911.com:

Steaming the dough as it bakes also gelatinizes starch on the outside layer, producing a bread with a crisp crust and a brown crust color in varying degrees; too much steam results in an undesirable crust. Steam also helps to prevent wild breaks in the loaves because it delays the setting of the bread's crust, allowing it more time to bake and brown. However, in contrast, during the last stages of baking, a dry oven is required when the crust is browning; after the steam is removed, the gelatinized layer dries out forming a thick crunchy crust.

Among various articles I've read, the best way to add the moisture is in the form of ice cubes set in a pan below the bread in the hot oven. Get the temp set, add the bread, then the pan below it. The high heat will quickly melt the cubes and give it the needed burst of moisture, then it will evaporate quickly so the latter baking will be the needed dry time.

Commercial ovens have built in steam jets set on timers.

chrissie B

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 23:30 »
thanks for that trillium , I put a tin dish in with some water which did evaporate but I think I could have had more in it , ice cubes is a good idea the loaf was nice and springy and tasted lovely so will stick to that one , going to try fougas  not sure on spelling but have had it on a local market with olives in it was great , thanks again
chrissie b

allotmentann

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 14:21 »
I used to use boiling water poured into a hot baking tray and also spritz the top of the loaves. I now have a selection of covered bakers which produce more steam with no hassle and give far superior results. It is more difficult if you use loaf tins though, although you can tent them with foil. The covered baker means that the bread bakes in its own steam.   :)

chrissie B

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 18:19 »
the covered baker is that the thing ive seen in Lakeland around 19,99
the loaf is no more im afrad its been eaten on to the next one , on baking programs ive just seen them give them a quick squirt they did have great big ovens.
chrissie b

allotmentann

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 09:55 »
Anything can make a covered baker if it fits your dough and gives it enough room to expand, LaCloche is designed specifically for it, but Romertopfs', clay bakers, enamel casseroles, Dutch ovens or even a disposable foil roasting tin will do the job. I bake all my bread covered now, and get far better results than I ever did messing with trays of water and spray bottles. I would post a picture, but I can only seem to insert enormous pictures, and if I resize I lose the quality, but it really is worth trying.   :)

chrissie B

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 16:38 »
hate to bang on about bread but did a paul holliwood loaf today with the ordinary yeast so it would rise slower it went mad and I got 2 loafs out of it the falvour was nice and the texture was good as well
chrissie b

allotmentann

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 14:13 »
Yes, the slower the rise the better the flavour. I love baking bread. I have some sourdough starter being built for baking tomorrow right at this moment.    :)

chrissie B

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 18:08 »
i think of all the things you can make , bread is the most satisfying , I haven't tried using a starter as yet , good luck with yours
chrissie b

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 37 queries.