shredded paper

• 34 Replies

RichardA

Re: shredded paper
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 17:01 »
I run my office from home and all shredded paper goes on compost heap BUT BUT BUT do not shred envelopes with the plastic windows in them where the address shows through or sellotape on cardboard or old credit cards etc etc as the shreds of those are a B***** to pick up again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Put simply never leave anyone else just to shred what is in the bin -- do it your self. Nuff said.
R

rideandy

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 17:38 »
Cheers Richard

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 18:59 »
Good point - thanks for the tip!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

FRUITFULL

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 23:43 »
We put shredded paper/newspaper and egg cartons/cardboard ripped up in ours to keep the balance right.

Paul Plots

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 00:14 »
Thanks Grannie Annie and Peanut. Glad this is going to work as I have a virtuially unlimited supply of paper --- I work in a school!!!
Will keep any large cardboard boxes now too.

Have you tried putting a thick layer of newspaper in the bottom of a gtrecnhc before planting runners -- kept down the number of times they had to be watered.

Schools are brilliant at creating waste paper - not so much the paper used by children but the countless "helpful" documents and advice papers from the government.
Nearly all best suited to the bean trench... shame it costs so much tax-payers money to produce it in the first place! :mad:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2009, 16:37 »
 8) The bean tranch is exactly what I have in mind for those kind of waste products  :tongue2:, Learner.

Trillium

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2009, 17:24 »
We invested in a cheap home paper shredder, cost about 10 pounds equivalent. We run all our personal papers through it, including pre-approved junk mail solicitations. Can now sleep easier at night knowing the waste is either lighting fires, composting in the bins or in the soon-to-be wormery. Our banks put out sacks and sacks of shredded stuff for garbage pickup but I'd ask before I took any of theirs in case it's a problem in their eyes.

Paul Plots

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2009, 23:42 »
I end up with so much paper to shred that the local authority recycle-lorry refuses to take it once it is shredded - clogs their machines apparently. :unsure:

My compost heap is huge - filled about 70% grass, 20% paper and 10% allotment weeds. It makes a huge difference to my clay soil - brilliant! :)

horsepooisgood

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2009, 08:35 »
Andy, anything from the bank needs plenty of poo on it after all that is very similar to what they have done to us lately for always :D

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2009, 19:17 »
We've just emptied a large compost bin, been stsnding 9 months.  Decent well rotted compost but some of the shredded paper was still well preserved and intact- seems to take longer than the rest. What was interesting though was that these wodges of paper were full of red-worms - they seem to love it, or was that all that was left to munch as everything else was rotted?

At home all shredded paper is used as litter in the hen pen. Once well fertilized it goes on the compost heap - we'll see how well it rots
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

Paul Plots

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2009, 19:08 »
We've just emptied a large compost bin, been stsnding 9 months.  Decent well rotted compost but some of the shredded paper was still well preserved and intact- seems to take longer than the rest. What was interesting though was that these wodges of paper were full of red-worms - they seem to love it, or was that all that was left to munch as everything else was rotted?

At home all shredded paper is used as litter in the hen pen. Once well fertilized it goes on the compost heap - we'll see how well it rots

I find government produced non-statutory advice rots well once shredded! :)

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2009, 22:18 »
I'm led to believe all today's ink is biodegradable. I shred all personal detail that comes thru the post & compost it , right or wrong?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2009, 09:55 »
I do exactly the same, mbt
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2009, 17:36 »
I just had a very stranger image of all the paper rotting away and just the words left in the compost  --- what on earth was in that wine I had this afternoon  :unsure:

8doubles

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2009, 16:52 »
I just had a very stranger image of all the paper rotting away and just the words left in the compost  --- what on earth was in that wine I had this afternoon  :unsure:

I use shredded paper in the chook nestboxes and sometimes get eggs you can read. :D

Mixed with the ex-tomato compost that i use on the coop floor and the few bits of greenstuff the birds don`t eat  the shredded paper rots very nicely.

xx
paper pot maker

Started by dan808 on Frugal Living

6 Replies
Last post March 30, 2014, 19:57
by boddy
xx
£2 off WYS £10 at Wilkos, and buy a Bucks local paper for 45p

Started by David. on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post February 28, 2009, 19:10
by David.
xx
Home Made Paper Pots...........

Started by Slowgrind on Frugal Living

15 Replies
Last post April 20, 2010, 15:06
by Daff

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 38 queries.