WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEAVES

• 6 Replies

Dandy

WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEAVES
« on: May 04, 2013, 08:58 »
Hi as many of you know we finally got our little plot. Its not in too bad a state as the chap before covered the beds in leaves, now do we rotavate these in or put them in a compost bin? there is a wire box there with a few leaves in the bottom so not sure if we should put the leaves in the wire bin? HEELLLPPP!!! Ta eversomuch.

compostqueen

Re: WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEAVES
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 09:09 »
You can rotovate them in or take them off and put them in the leaf bin to rot down. A leaf bin, made of wire, as you seem to have inherited, is a very good thing and will make you some lovely leaf mould. It does take a while but it just sits there doing its own thing until one day you find it all crumbly and gorgeous  :D

If the leaf layer (which has been used here as a mulch) is very thick it might be too hard work for your machine to cope with so you might have to lose some of them to your leaf bin

Good luck

Dandy

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 09:34 »
Thanks for that compostqueen.  :)

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 12:56 »
I love leaf mulch on the garden and my tomatoes particularly love it. As said, if spread too thick, it's a bit hard to work the soil, but you can always turn it under or rotovate it in if that's how you like to do it. Never waste leaves, they're valuable.  ;)

Ema

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 13:03 »
Highly toxic so I would be careful about spraying on things your going to eat unless its just the leaves way before any fruit.

Personally mine just go on the heap

I've tried garlic water as a bug killer not sure if it had anymore success than plain water.

having a terrible time with aphids and white flys attacking my seedlings indoors - I've locked the house down and am inspecting daily, rinsing plants and cleaning surfaces

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 13:13 »
Is your post about rhubarb leaves Ema? (Think you might have replied in the wrong thread.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 19:00 »
Going back to the original post ---

If you have raspberries or other soft fruit, these leaves will make a great mulch for them. Just make sure the ground is damp before spreading them
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
LEAVES OFF THE VEG

Started by WOBBLYLEGS on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 15, 2008, 19:31
by WOBBLYLEGS
xx
oak leaves

Started by davethespread on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post October 12, 2009, 06:48
by davethespread
xx
Leaves, leaves, leaves

Started by Mum2mj on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 19, 2016, 08:54
by 3759allen
xx
Oak leaves

Started by mandycharlie on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 16, 2007, 15:57
by moz

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 39 queries.