sloe gin

• 14 Replies

Tills

sloe gin
« on: October 14, 2010, 14:36 »
Hi, sorry this question isn't really about wine-making but you seem like the experts so I thought you might be able to advise.  I have strained the berries out of last year's sloe gin but the remaining liquid is very cloudy.  It does not seem to be forming a sediment.  I have tried straining it through a coffee filter but it made no difference.  Any suggestions?

8doubles

Re: sloe gin
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 14:53 »
If you have been a bit heavy on the sugar any solids will take longer to settle to the bottom , just give it more time ,

or close your eyes when you drink it. :)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 14:54 »
If you cut the sloes, the liquid will be cloudy,  if you pricked the sloes with a fork (or a silver hat pin) then it should clear.  I think cutting the sloes allowes the flesh of the sloe to emerge?   It is just a case of chucking it into the back of the airing cupboard and looking at it in a years time! Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 15:03 »
If you cut the sloes, the liquid will be cloudy,  if you pricked the sloes with a fork (or a silver hat pin) then it should clear.  I think cutting the sloes allowes the flesh of the sloe to emerge?   It is just a case of chucking it into the back of the airing cupboard and looking at it in a years time! Cheers,   Tony.

Quite true , frozen sloes can cause the same problem. I do not even prick the sloes (unfrozen) as osmosis will do the business through the unbroken skin.

Tills

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 15:16 »
I did freeze them, having always spent hours pricking them in the past.  I shall invest in a silver hat pin this year.

Dirt Diver

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 21:13 »
Hi

Last year I used the freezer method and it is not clearing very well. I'm am just going to give it more time. Back of the shelf - till next year, and then see if I can just take the top of the sediment. Worth a try!

This year I have not frozen just put them in the Gin and after only 5 weeks the colour in really deep already. Looking a lot better :D

Pip Judgeford

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 07:48 »
Hi

This year I have not frozen just put them in the Gin and after only 5 weeks the colour in really deep already. Looking a lot better :D

Yes I do the same:  not pricked or sliced, and put thru coffee filter paper to get sparkly clear result.  This year I also discovered that you can use the sloes post gin-ing and put them in sherry (no sugar)  - very nice and two products from one harvest of sloes.

Pip

Dirt Diver

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 17:57 »
Pip

If you do both, do you get a different taste to the Slow Gin from the sherry.

Pip Judgeford

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 08:15 »
Dirt Diver,

In short yes, its a different flavour.  Hard to know if its because its more subtle (because the gin takes away some of the flavour), or because the sherry (I use fino) has a warm taste of its own that blends extremely well with the sloes' flavouring.  Sloe gin is pretty drinkable - sweet and fruity - but I think I prefer the sherry product - not so sweet, warm and a little fruity without being so lolly water (if you know what I mean ;))

This year I got 2 kg of sloes on my tree and gave half away.  Next sloe season I'm aiming to do 1kg as sloe gin and one of sherry with fresh sloes... and then use the kg of ginned sloes to make more gin sherry.  This should give me 3 good comparisons (and a head ache :dry:).  Its quicker than the walnut liqueur recipe I have, which takes 4 years.  I put off doing this for ages... when I should have got it going the first year I had access to green walnuts, and I'd be enjoying it by now! 

Pip

PS given we are in opposite seasons, I could tell you in advance of your next autumn/sloe season which is best!

8doubles

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 08:40 »
You can also make 'Slider' with the sloes after making sloe gin. Just add a strong cider.
It tastes similar to Kriek the cherry beer.

Dirt Diver

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 11:34 »
PIP -PS given we are in opposite seasons, I could tell you in advance of your next autumn/sloe season which is best!

You meen cheat and spoil all the mistry of living in England with it's diverse weather conditions-

sounds good to me!!!!!!!!!!

Pip Judgeford

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 22:59 »
You can also make 'Slider' with the sloes after making sloe gin.

Ooohh man, now slider.  :D :D  I'll make a wish now for 3 kg of sloes this year off my tree so I can try slider too. Should be a good year too, the bees are happy and have been about.  I'm planning to open the hive this arvo to check brood and space. 

To misquote Flanders and Swann:  " 'tober brings the sweet spring showers.... on and on for hours and hours"

=Pip

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 14:38 »
By far the best thing to do with the 'redundant' sloes is to make sloe gin truffles ! ! !  cut the sloe flesh from the pips and soften the best dark chocolate you can afford in a bain marie?, mix with fresh double cream and fold in the sloes. 

Carefully spoon the mixture into small cake cups after rolling the truffles in chocolate "hundreds and thousands" or real cocoa powder for the toffs.

As this concoction contains fresh cream, don't try and keep them.

Watch the beggars roll down the road after two or three ! ! !  :lol:  Cheers,    Tony

JohnB

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 11:41 »
Hi, sorry this question isn't really about wine-making but you seem like the experts so I thought you might be able to advise.  I have strained the berries out of last year's sloe gin but the remaining liquid is very cloudy.  It does not seem to be forming a sediment.  I have tried straining it through a coffee filter but it made no difference.  Any suggestions?
       Must admit that I don't ever strain the Sloes out of the gin mix. Just take out what I need when I need it by putting It into a gin bottle. These Sloes were left over from last year in the freezer and the Sloe Gin was made in October. It has been clear for about 2 possibly 3 months. I cannot see any reason to take out the Sloes until you have completely finished with them, in my case after making Sloe cider. I find the latter to be absolutely superb even if I mix it with my own cider!!!!

ciderman

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 20:34 »
hi tills if you warm it up then put in the fridge for 24 hours it should clear  this happens with snags cider 24 hour in the fridge works ok bob

xx
Sloe Gin anybody?

Started by Aled on Homebrew

16 Replies
Last post December 04, 2014, 10:07
by Aled
xx
sloe gin

Started by mrsbean on Homebrew

11 Replies
Last post September 14, 2017, 11:51
by cc
xx
Sloe Gin

Started by Redwellies on Homebrew

13 Replies
Last post August 06, 2007, 17:00
by muntjac
xx
sloe's

Started by Ropster on Homebrew

6 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 12:16
by Lastcast

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 39 queries.