Must in a bin - lid tight or loose - raspberry wine update ?

• 9 Replies

poultrygeist

I'm following John's blackberry wine recipe from the Frugal book (substituting blackberries for rasps) and have put the must in a bin with sugar, yeast and nutrient.

Do I keep the lid on loose for gases to escape or keep it on tight to omit contaminents ?

Obviously opening to stir daily  :)

Ta v much

Rob 8)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 12:30 by poultrygeist »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Must in a bin - lid tight or loose ?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 14:25 »
don't know Rob but let us know when it's finished and I'll bring my glass round, never tried raspberry wine but it sounds luurvley  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 15:31 »
Needs at least 12 months to mature apparently  ::)  Need to make somethign a bit more 'instant' in the meantime  :D

Rob 8)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 15:34 »
12 months!! and theres me with me pint glass in hand  and engine running  :lol: :lol: (wouldn't help me though as I don't know where you live around boston, suppose I could ask people for the family who take in stray ducklings sure someone would know  :D

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 20:48 »
Hi, lid on tight as they are not airtight and will protect your wine better.

poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 20:57 »
Cheers JW. :)

I had a chat with my Dad earlier, who was a winemaking geek in the 70s and 80s but he couldn't remember what he did  ::)

When I stirred it, it took me straight back to my childhood. Smells lovely, although I overdid the sugar so it may well be too sweet but I'm sure it'll be within limits. :D

Rob 8)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 21:52 »
JW beat me to it Rob!  Those vinegar flies are tiny little things and will get in anywhere!  so yes, keep lid on tight til you want to stir, stir quick and replace lid quick!!!

And don't worry if its a bit too sweet, raspberry liquer is very nice, and will go down well over your bowl of ice cream.  Oh sorry, you don't eat much ice cream do you?  but WE do!!!! lol

poultrygeist

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 12:29 »
Quick update on the rasp wine.

It wasn't really doing anything after I transferred it to a demijohn so I tried makign a little starter bottle but that didn't do a lot so I went for the bold move of splitting the wine into 2 demijohns, adding a teaspoon of yeast and nutrient and topping up with water and they're both now bubbling away well, so at least I'll get something.
The bit I got from the syphon tube tasted very nice so I can't wait for the next racking to try a bit of the now watered down stuff. :D

Rob 8)

Kate and her Ducks

Have to say the syphoning bit has got me foxed. Everything goes on about how clean you have to keep things and then you suck on the end of the syphoning tubing. Even if you brush you teeth surely it's  hardly clean!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

poultrygeist

I did think that myself as I got a mouthfull but I suppose it's clean on the inside of the tube. Avoid dipping the end in the wine. Unless oral bacteria won't multiply in the presence of alcohol ?
Maybe there's a moral there. :wub:

ROb 8)

clip
Top up or not top up raspberry wine

Started by Sprogg on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post July 14, 2018, 19:52
by grinling
xx
The range wine update

Started by grinling on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post December 17, 2015, 23:04
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Raspberry wine from wild yeast.

Started by Capt Zero on Homebrew

8 Replies
Last post September 06, 2013, 15:05
by compostqueen
xx
Raspberry and rhubarb wine - recipe ?

Started by poultrygeist on Homebrew

14 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 12:12
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 38 queries.