runner beans

• 4 Replies

garreg

runner beans
« on: September 03, 2009, 15:36 »
hello everyone,
                        ive just entered (this is my second season)the world of growing my own fruit and veg, ive started with the basics i.e. strawberries,various types of lettuce,spring onions,
carrots,cabbage and brocoli,and they are doing really well,my problem is somthing is eating my runners,not the leaves but the beans themselves,they have been flowering for the last couple of weeks,but as soon as the bean shows its gone,taken clean off, there are a few amongst the denser leaves wich are now 2-3"long but as for the rest it would appear they are a regular meal for somthing, could it be mice?, i have no idea,please help,i was really looking forward to my beans.

HilaryG

• Experienced Member
  • l
Re: runner beans
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 17:05 »
What a shame :( Could it be a bird thing, if so you could try a bit of netting. Not sure about mice though, other than tempting them away from your beans with something else or finding the nest (I found a nest under my p. slabs) or traps (which never work).
The less time you have, the more becomes available.

Ivor Backache

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 17:11 »
I doubt if anything is eating them. Runners need insects for polination and with the recent wet weather they are simply not about. The flowers don't set and drop off. This is the second year in succession that August is very wet and I am hoping to start  next years beans earlier to avoid this happening.

Walewein

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 19:47 »
No problem with mine, alays seem to pollonate whatever the weather. The bees must have umbrellas near me.

peterjf

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 22:58 »
if you think its mice , put a couple of traps around the btems of the beans , load the traps with peanut butter mmmmmmmmmmmmm

xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Confused about runner and non-runner beans!

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2015, 20:24
by Yorkie
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
xx
French beans and runner beans

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 25, 2012, 13:19
by Thrift

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 35 queries.