Big gap after racking wine

• 5 Replies

suesowsseed

• Experienced Member
Big gap after racking wine
« on: February 25, 2013, 13:31 »
Hi,

I have just racked my gooseberry wine to get rid if the first lot of sediment in the demijohns.

I have ended up with two full demijohns and one with a big gap at the top.

I know I should really top this up but not sure what to use.  Is a water/sugar solution OK considering the amount I need?

The SG is 0.990 so does this mean it will end up very dry?  I like a medium/dry white wine.

If so, how and when should I sweeten it?

Here is a photo so you can see how much I need to top up.

Thanks in advance

photo.JPG

The Hairy Pumpkins

Re: Big gap after racking wine
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 14:36 »
Thats a difficult one!

for uniformity I usually refill them next to each other giving them an equal amount of the gap caused by racking, its fiddley sometimes but worth it.

I would perhaps sweeten it a little 75g/demi for a medium but if you intend on storing it for a year or two in the demi john then leave it! you can always sweeten it prior to bottling it up or if your drinking it young, just make sure its knocked dead and stabilized before you do.

I've not tried Gooseberry wine before, can you describe it to me and are there any similarities between other wines?

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 15:46 »
I agree with the not easy comment.

The other 2 look well full so you could take some out of each and move a little over. It would not fill the 3rd but might help.

They look very clear to me, did you leave a lot of the bottom stuff in the previous DJ's? Thinking that you could prehaps have syphoned a bit more from previous, I usually allow a small amount of the sediment to get syphoned up at the first racking, also have the DJ's at an angle to get the most liquid out.

You say the SG is 0.990, that means that all the sugar has been converted, so I would not expect any further fermentation, and it will be dry.

This means that any sugar added will restart fermentation if you have yeast there to do it, this was why I asked if you left a fair bit at the bottom of the previous DJ's as you will have left behind some of the yeast.

The one option I can think of is to add white grape juice and perhap some sugar. Whether you take some of of the other 2 and add grape juice to all 3 or just the low one I would not like to say.

Fear is that if it doesn't really work then losing the low DJ is not too bad, losing all 3 is not a good idea.

What I would do:

If all are at 0.990 AND you do not want it that dry AND there is live yeast present, then decant some from the 2 full ones to a jug - say half a litre or more from each, add sugar (no idea how much, total guess 8oz) and dissolve it, Then add this back to the 2 fuller ones but leave more space - about half way down the shoulder of the DJ, an inch below the start of the narrower neck - then add whatever remains to the 3rd DJ.

Assuming the 3rd DJ is still low, add white grape juice to this, it will not detract from the body and will fill it up and be fermented as normal to completion.

This way you are adding sugar to the full ones to get the sweetness up, and not adding grape juice to them in case it alters the taste (I would not expect it to change it a great deal if any).

A fair conccern is the presence or absence of live yeast at this stage, but 0.990 means all sugar has gone and it is dry.

suesowsseed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 16:12 »
Hi, Thanks for your replies.

To clarify, I started with three full demijohns, when the fermentation seemed to have virtually stopped, I syphoned them all off into a sterilized fermenting bucket, cleaned and sterilized the demijohns, then syphoned it back into the demijohns (I didn't have any spare ones).

I left most of the sediment behind, tipping the demijohns slightly to get as much clear wine as possible so there shouldn't really be much sediment/yeast in them now.

I have refitted the air locks just in case they ferment a bit more.

I assume I will have to rack them in the same way again in a few weeks time.  Will the wine in the part full one be OK to mix with the others if it hasn't been topped up?

Shall I wait until after the next racking before sweetening as you suggested?

thedadtony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 20:41 »
I'd rack the partly full D.J. into two, two litre lemonade bottles, drill a 8mm hole in each cap to take an airlock and carry on as normal, rack again later, top up with cooled boiled water if necessary and don't forget your campden tabs. hope that helps, cheers Tony :)

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 13:10 »
The problem is that the SG indicates that all the sugar has been used and you say you prefer a sweeter wine.

This implies to me that any sugar added at this time will restart fermentation.

If you want to back sweeten it then you have to kill off the yeast and add whatever to sweeten - usually white grape juice.

That means white grape juice into everything, and is what I was trying to avoid, at least on all of the DJ's. Also I have never back sweetened anything, just let them ferment to completion and so far been happy. Hence the idea of taking out of the 2 full ones, adding sugar, putting this back in and putting the excess into the lower DJ, with the full one's not as full as at present. Grape juice could then be added to the low one to get the volume up.

Part of this relies on fermentation restarting and you fermenting down to about 1.000 then stopping it.

Occasionally have the same problem but over time I have bought a 1 litre glass bottle and a 3 litre glass bottle both of which takes a cork for an airlock, so can manage to fit something into a mix of bottles.

xx
Do I top up wine after racking?

Started by Mosslane on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post July 14, 2010, 20:56
by SG6
xx
Racking day

Started by grinling on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post March 14, 2013, 20:56
by thedadtony
xx
Racking beer kits twice.

Started by hayles62 on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post January 03, 2007, 21:55
by hayles62
xx
How can i make my wine sweeter - and I need half size bottles for wine.

Started by composthappens on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post July 31, 2013, 23:39
by Jackypam

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 38 queries.