Shady plot

• 6 Replies

Falcon_man

Shady plot
« on: February 09, 2008, 23:02 »
With it being such a nice day up here I went down the allotment today to do lots of digging and clearing. After a while down there I realised that my plot is in the shade of quite a large tree. :(

Could this be a big problem? The previous owners gave up after less than one year and I'm wondering if it was because the plants didn't get enough sun light.

Are there any veg that I should avoid if my plot is shady? Are there any that go better in the shade? Any help or advice would be good, was hoping to start with these for this year:

Carrots, potatoes, beetroot, onions, lettuce, spinage, parsnips, leeks, turnip, peas, beans, kale and cabbage.
Thanks

gobs

Shady plot
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 05:24 »
One tree should not be a major problem, unless it is right on a small plot from the South, which can still be managed. You can lift the crown by losing a few low lying branches.

Some soft fruit will do OK in shadier parts, also lettuce and spinach, well, most salad leaf things should be fine.

Put beans, carrots in the sunnier parts for this year and lift the tree's crown more again next year, if needed. You don't want to cut too much off in one go.

If it's not from the south, I'd probably leave alone other than sick, dead brunches which might fall on you or your seedlings in windy weather. :lol:

Its shade will be welcome by all in the summer. :wink: If we have one. :roll:

PS: Don't attack tree and chain saw if not confident about it, a lot of accidents to be had! Moan to Committee or pay a few quid to a pro. :roll:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

crowndale

Shady plot
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 07:35 »
Also, don't forget that the sun you get in winter is a lot lower than the summer, you may get a lot more sun over the summer months.  The top end of my plot is quite shady at the moment but I've seen it in summer and its a lot lighter then.  Mind you the greenhouse was literally green (somewhat like my conservatory!) so I know it doesn't get full sun every day up that end!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

gobs

Shady plot
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 10:04 »
True, but it's also about the roots of them, you looking to grow most veg a few metres away from a tree, but you need space for a nettle patch, leaf mulch bin, etc., those can all go there.

noshed

Shady plot
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 18:45 »
Lettuce.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Falcon_man

Shady plot
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 21:15 »
Thanks for the replies.

Gobs unfortunatly I can't cut the tree as it's in someones garden.

I was taking to the lady who owns the allotment next to me and she said that mine was up to half in shade even in high summer last year :-(

Will just have to take my chances and see what happens

blackhobbescat

• Experienced Member
Shady plot
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 08:44 »
I'm in a similar boat, but fortunately have two plots for the price of one, as one is overshadowed by the most enormous apple tree!  I'm approaching this year as a bit of an experiment.  If nothing much grows under the tree, then I'm going to turn it into a seating area, with a pond, etc, and use the rest of the plot for production!  

Perhaps you could approach those in charge and ask for a reduced fee due to your concerns about productivity.  

Could you approach the person whose tree it is?  Perhaps ask if you can prune it slightly.  Also, if it is a fruit tree, perhaps you can just make use of the produce from it!  I was giving away cooking apples for weeks in the Autumn!
On the very steep learning curve of organic veg growing!!!!

xx
Good veg for shady plot

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 03, 2012, 18:48
by gavinjconway
xx
how shady is too shady for comfrey ?

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 03, 2012, 18:52
by richrua
xx
Shady bed

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 17, 2008, 11:52
by fletch
xx
Shady bed

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 29, 2007, 22:55
by noshed

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 35 queries.