To plant out or not?

• 5 Replies

Grubbypaws

To plant out or not?
« on: May 04, 2024, 11:02 »
My celeriac and celery are hardened off and ready to plant out in a covered raised bed but is it too early, should I hold fire  :unsure:

Snow

• Experienced Member
Re: To plant out or not?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2024, 11:29 »
Should be fine I think, it's just frost that can make them bolt and I know none is forecast for me at least.

I am letting mine grow on for another week or so before putting in the ground as they are still a bit small and I'll cover them with fleece/cloche  which I always recommend for any spring planted crops

Grubbypaws

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2024, 11:50 »
Should be fine I think, it's just frost that can make them bolt and I know none is forecast for me at least.

I am letting mine grow on for another week or so before putting in the ground as they are still a bit small and I'll cover them with fleece/cloche  which I always recommend for any spring planted crops

They are 6" tall now and will be going in to a raised bed covered with fine insect mesh netting which the manufactures say will give protection against mild frosts, heavy rain, wind and hail. I think I might go for it !

Grubbypaws

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2024, 09:45 »
I contacted KingsSeed and they have said not before the 3rd week in May at the very earliest! Celeriac all planted out but will hold fire with celery which is not quite as advanced.

jaydig

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2024, 19:51 »
Virtually everything that was in my greenhouse is now in the garden as I got fed up with constantly moving the pots around. I have even put the seedling tomato and pepper plants into their spaces in the greenhouse border. Funnily enough everything took off like a rocket once in more open ground. I swear the sweetcorn has grown a couple of inches in a few days and the French beans that looked as if they were struggling are now looking very promising. The runner beans are making their way up the sticks and the tiny fennel seedlings are settling in nicely.  I do have, just in case though, some scaffold netting that I can drape over the posts that are in place to make a 'tent' should there be a frost forecast.

cc

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2024, 15:53 »
I still have a celery plant from last year growing outside.
I assume it will soon go to seed?
Pity as nothing else close to being ready.

xx
Supermarket living lettuce-plant or not 2 plant?

Started by violet61 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 20:29
by violet61
xx
Butternut - to plant out or not to plant out?

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 13, 2007, 17:09
by little sweetpeas
xx
Could I plant anything under my

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 14:00
by Beetroot queen
xx
How many BNS did you get from each plant?

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 14, 2009, 16:34
by green fingers

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 41 queries.