too early to plant potato tubers?

• 40 Replies

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: too early to plant potato tubers?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 14:48 »
I'm putting some maincrop in this weekend, but in 2 bags so I can move them in/out when needed till the weather's warmer. My Desirees were in in late April last year, because of waterlogging, and were small so this is my cunning plan for this year...

BabbyAnn

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 15:01 »
 :wacko: Is it too early to plant potato tubers - funny how those rogue potatoes that got left behind in the soil the year before don't read any planting time sheets and pop up when they feel ready LOL

My potato planting used to be about the 3rd week in March (depending on weather and soil temperature of course) but in recent years, this shifted to about mid-April and spread over a couple of weeks.  With this current mild trend, I am tempted to plant a small row of 1st earlies and keep them under fleece - the soil temperature wasn't too bad last weekend .... mmmm, we'll see if there's time after I've sorted out my fruit bushes this weekend for an experimental row of spuds

Robster

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 22:19 »
Ive got some in bags in the unheated greenhouse.  I'll plant some more bags up this weekend.  I'll not get any in the ground for a couple of weeks.  The bags will give me some early potatoes with little risk so I don't need to take a risk with all the rest outside.  So they'll stay chatting for a few more weeks yet.

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2014, 11:31 »
I have some Pentland Javelin in pots in the unheated Greenhouse and they are bubble wrapped to protect them against this coming weeks frost, high pressure good bright sunny days predicted so the temperature will plummet at night!
Do you really need al that lettuce/

Eblana

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2014, 11:35 »
Traditionally here in Ireland we plant from St. Patricks weekend onwards (17th March).

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2014, 19:22 »
Traditionally here in Ireland we plant from St. Patricks weekend onwards (17th March).

Potatoes and the Irish traditions go hand in hand. Thats good enough for me. Bring on the weekend  ;)

Christine

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2014, 19:42 »
I've heard that the test for planting spuds is that if the soil is warm enough to sit on with no breeks on then it's fine to plant your tatties. I mentioned this down my allotment site and received much joshing in reply - especially from the blokes .................  :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2014, 20:57 »

Potatoes and the Irish traditions go hand in hand. Thats good enough for me. Bring on the weekend  ;)

Just to flag up the need to consider climate and location.

Ireland traditionally is warm and wet.  If you are in a different part of the UK or world, you need to consider when your soil will warm up and when frost is less likely to damage new shoots.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2014, 07:04 »
I've heard that the test for planting spuds is that if the soil is warm enough to sit on with no breeks on then it's fine to plant your tatties. I mentioned this down my allotment site and received much joshing in reply - especially from the blokes .................  :D

:D

I tested my soil yesterday, with my finger, and it's far too cold to plant in. The weather looks good for next week though so I may still get mine in next week, too.

Jim
British by birth, Scottish by the grace of God

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2014, 08:41 »
We are forcast more settled weather, but high pressure will mean night-time temperatures are low.  I also suspect the plot may need this drier spell before I can even think about digging  ::)

My spuds are happily chitting in the greenhouse and are staying there for a couple of weeks yet.  They will catch up no problem once the soil is ready and spring has properly sprung  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2014, 14:56 »
I think I may be able to do some digging now, but the spuds are certainly staying where they are for at least a couple of weeks.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2014, 15:10 »
My plot is finally digable - but it is needs warming up a bit before planting  :(

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2014, 18:22 »
Our plot was much drier than we thought it would be. The rotavators were in full swing today with the old boys. We put black on our beds last week and its done a super job. Spuds are in.......... Well six beds are in.

Debz

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2014, 10:42 »
It's too cold up here for me to be out digging most days so I can't expect anthing to grow outside.  I think the easter holidays will be a good planting time for me because it is so late this year.  It's not unheard of for us to have a frost in June here.

Penny Finn

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2014, 10:02 »
We put ours in yesterday!  Though we are in the South and the soil was really warm and not too wet?  Hope I haven't shot myself in the foot
Gardening Granny

xx
Potato Tubers

Started by rikknikk on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 14:09
by Ivor Backache
xx
potato tubers

Started by GAZBEE on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 28, 2011, 18:20
by Kristen
xx
keeping potato tubers

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 28, 2008, 22:05
by gobs
xx
best place to get potato tubers from?

Started by moggy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post November 30, 2007, 20:41
by TRACKS

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 40 queries.