Quick reply please anyone, shall I just go for it?

• 5 Replies

rosie14

Quick reply please anyone, shall I just go for it?
« on: September 18, 2011, 15:15 »
I have a 5 week old chick and mum currently seperated in the broody enclosure. It's not possible to put it alongside nor inside the coop to integrate them. The chick is still being 'mothered' and the Orpington mummy is happy with the arrangement still atm. I have let them free range in the garden together since lunch time with our other hen, a Welsummer and all seems fine apart from a 'get away' peck from the WS towards the chick  ::) . Shall I just get on with it and herd all 3 of them all back into the chicken run and go from there? I can't let the dog out until they are away where ever that may be :)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Re: Quick reply please anyone, shall I just go for it?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 15:28 »
1st day out together ?  then I'd not as they seem to need quiet a while to get used to each other, alright while there's plenty of space but when their locked up again might be a different story
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 15:43 »
as they are on different feeds I would still keep them seperate except for when you can supervise them.
Staffies are softer than you think.

rosie14

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 18:59 »
Thanks guys  :)

I didn't feel entirely comfortable doing it today so didn't lol! The little one has most of its adult feathering but not all and it just didn't feel 'right' in case it did get a hard time it's not even got the protection of feathers! The mama hen also got a few 'I'm in charge pecks' from the WS and she took it submissively. She's clearly dropped rank!

I will keep having them out when I can like normal but when would it be a good time? What's the guide? Thanks x

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 19:14 »
I leave the decision up to the broodies - but try to keep them separate for part of the day until they are all on layers - I say try but have had several broods hatched in hedgerows who have never been inside a coop or kept separate  ::).

rosie14

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 19:46 »
Hi, thanks joyfull. Yours are being raised the best way in mho  ;) The little monkey has been eating her (I hope it's a her!) mama's corn and layers for literally weeks lol! She has of course been scoffing her own food too  :)

xx
DEFRA Reply

Started by Markw on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 16, 2012, 14:32
by mumofstig
xx
Scraps and DEFRA's reply to me.

Started by joyfull on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post February 27, 2013, 22:26
by Aunt Sally
xx
just a quick . . . . .

Started by daveinmanc on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 24, 2007, 16:46
by Lost in France
xx
Quick. What should I do?

Started by Butterfly on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post April 12, 2008, 19:44
by Lost in France

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 40 queries.