I'm hooked!

• 6 Replies

Pudding cloth

I'm hooked!
« on: August 16, 2011, 12:56 »
I've had 4 chickens for just a few weeks and I love them! Only one is laying at present, but I'm not worried, I know it will take a little time for the others to mature.
I'm just wondering if I can expect trouble if I get another hen to add to the mix. I've got a Daisy Belle, a Hi-line, a Cuckoo Marran and Light sussex right now. Really fancy getting a Buff or Lavendar Orpington.
Any thoughts?

SMS6

Re: I'm hooked!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 13:05 »
Easy to get hooked isn't it  :D  I bought 3 chickens in June and like you I'm now thinking I could have managed 4

trouble is - is it worth the risk of upsetting the routines - if I bring in another one will it get really bullied before being accepted??

I'm sure I will see one and not be able to resist

Beano

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 15:27 »
You will get trouble every time you introduce new ones. It's best to introduce more than one at a time, for company. Maybe if you introduce new ones now after only a few weeks, it won't be so bad because the others haven't had time to establish a pecking order yet or get too settled. Also if they are young it might not be too bad.
You will need to keep them apart for a couple of weeks in case of any disease transfer. You can keep them within sight of each other when you do, so they can get used to each other.
El.

Pudding cloth

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 15:32 »
Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try not to rush into anything, but the urge is strong!

Beano

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 16:33 »
Yes I know what you mean
but the urge is strong!
It's a job not to get more.
My husband was a bit sly because he only got a coop that was big enough for 6 medium sized hens. I have room for 2 more.

NormandyMary

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 21:51 »
I would never just introduce 1 hen, it has to be a minimum of 2. They will still get picked on, but at least they will have each other for company, and wont take so much aggro as a pair.

This chook keeping is just the best thing ever isnt it!!

Pudding cloth

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 06:40 »
YES  :) :) :) :)

xx
Hooked - more girls?

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post August 23, 2011, 11:49
by SurreyLass
xx
Hooked Beak Advice Please

Started by redmolly on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 12, 2009, 21:55
by Foxy

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 33 queries.