types of nettings - complete novice

• 7 Replies

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
types of nettings - complete novice
« on: April 24, 2012, 11:31 »
Hi,

I'm looking to invest in getting nettings to protect my veggies against insect/bird damage. i've had a look around on here and some of the help pages still undecided which one is best. looked at debris netting but it seems so fine and not sure if it partially blocks sun light. Can anyone recommend any particular type? some look pricey too

looking to protect peas and brassica's and would like to water through it rather than lifting it

thanks,

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: types of nettings - complete novice
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 11:38 »
If you've seen the old posts you'll know many of us use debris netting without a problem.
We wouldn't use it each year if there was, would we  ;)

You can water through debris netting as well, only lifting occasionally to weed  :)

Dopey113

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 12:43 »
I just had a look at the price of the stuff, and your right it is expensive, I get mine free, I work on building sites, I have 4 rolls of it, and i have given lots away to others on the loty, glad I'm that lucky that I can get hold of things like that for free, but it is good stuff, and will last you a very long time, so its an investment
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

MyAchingBack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 12:47 »
Just looked on the internet and they have a roll of 3m x 50m for £29. Can it be cut and does it have eyelets?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 12:57 »
Yes you can cut it without it fraying.

Within the rows of black stiching along the sides there are openings, rather than eyelets.

I don't use them I weigh the netting down with wood or bricks, as I think some critters could get in through the holes if they were being pulled open with pegs or hooks  :blush:

Bluedave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 13:01 »
I sew to pieces together using the openings - as it's only 3m wide - just thread some string through. Closes the openings up as well, just need to check once in a while to makes sure you've not tugged them apart a bit so they open to allow critters in.

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 13:35 »
I bought a roll of debris netting from eBay a few years back, I sold some bits and pieces that were no longer needed then used the money from that to pay for the netting which made me feel like it hadn't cost me anything!

I did buy enviromesh for my carrots though, the holes are a lot finer, I think I paid about £11 but it will last for up to 10 years

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 14:10 »
that what i wanted to make sure, as its plastic i didn't want it to degrade being in the sun and start breaking in bits. when i've spent money. my dad used to work in old British Railway on site (quite proud i am and when Railway was in better hands) and he used to get hold of all sorts.

as my plot in the garden is only a metre wide i can do with maybe 3m width to cover sides. i'll have a look around more.

xx
Complete Novice!

Started by Briony1979 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 19, 2011, 22:32
by justviolet
xx
Need help complete novice

Started by ANGEL_S on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 01, 2009, 15:39
by Minty
xx
Help for a complete novice

Started by Mitchy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 28, 2008, 21:17
by digalotty
xx
complete novice wants to grow potatos!

Started by Jimmy Splash on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 09, 2009, 14:40
by GreenOwl

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 40 queries.