Seed harvesting

• 10 Replies

Armleywhite

• Experienced Member
Seed harvesting
« on: April 12, 2013, 13:27 »
Sorry for yet another daft question.  With certain crops can you just keep the seeds from them to grow on the next season?  I.e., toms, peppers, chilli's corn etc.  Also, can you allow plants to go to seeds to harvest them to be planted on the following season?

By doing this will you diminish the potency of the seed?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Seed harvesting
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 13:57 »
Quite surprisingly for a company that makes its money selling seeds, "The Real Seed Company" gives plenty of advice about saving your own seeds:

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedsavinginfo.html
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Armleywhite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 14:12 »
Quite surprisingly for a company that makes its money selling seeds, "The Real Seed Company" gives plenty of advice about saving your own seeds:

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedsavinginfo.html

Brilliant.  Thanks JayG.  Much appreciated  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 14:25 »
You're welcome.  :)

They are a not-for-profit company so actually put their environmental and sustainability principles above making money, which I think is admirable and deserves support, although I have to confess I've not used them up to now.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 15:08 »
I use them for some of the harder to get varieties - for example the squashes and 'traditional' English vegetables before the supermarkets took over! I have been very pleased with their service

Armleywhite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 11:29 »
Na then.  I planted some garlic last year and they are coming along nicely.  Solent and purple wight were the two I planted.  Can I keep a bulb or three back after harvest and plant them out for next years crop?  Or will they be as bad as shop bought non seed garlic?

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 13:36 »
You're welcome.  :)

They are a not-for-profit company so actually put their environmental and sustainability principles above making money, which I think is admirable and deserves support, although I have to confess I've not used them up to now.

I have and they're very good.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 14:03 »
Na then.  I planted some garlic last year and they are coming along nicely.  Solent and purple wight were the two I planted.  Can I keep a bulb or three back after harvest and plant them out for next years crop?  Or will they be as bad as shop bought non seed garlic?

Saving bulbs for re-planting cloves is what many of us do - apart from the cost saving it reduces the risk of introducing any diseases to your plot. All you have to do is find somewhere cool, dry and dark to store them until ready to plant.

Mine originally were supermarket bulbs donated by my neighbours who were going away on a 3 month holiday - I planted them in Feb and they did so well I've kept growing them every year since, although I have to admit that growing supermarket garlic isn't really recommended.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 15:56 »
All you have to do is find somewhere cool, dry and dark to store them until ready to plant.

Oh  :unsure: so on my kitchen shelf (along with the ones for eating) isn't the best place for them  :lol:
Still werks fer me  ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 16:10 »
Oh  :unsure: so on my kitchen shelf (along with the ones for eating) isn't the best place for them  :lol:
Still werks fer me  ;)

Mine have to last in good condition from July right through to the following February, so they have to go somewhere as sprouting-unfriendly as possible.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 16:19 »
Mine have to last in good condition from July right through to the following February

So do mine - some were split and planted in Autumn, but I'm still using garlic from the shelf, although some of the cloves do have green shoots in now  ;)

xx
Harvesting peas for next years seed.

Started by BARNACLE BILL on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 21, 2017, 11:12
by New shoot
xx
Leeks available in Seed or Plant = different harvesting period?!

Started by hobhob on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 13:04
by Yorkie
clip
Broad beans and harvesting (1) to save seed and (2) for eating

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 28, 2023, 16:48
by Fisherman
xx
What are you harvesting now?

Started by AdrianH on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post May 28, 2009, 20:27
by yummy

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 40 queries.