Better crumble topping.

• 14 Replies

Lardman

Better crumble topping.
« on: November 17, 2021, 07:56 »
Looking to improve my crumble topping, ideally from stuff I normally have in the cupboard.

At the moment I'm using
2 parts plain flour
1 part butter
1 pinch salt
Blitz to bread crumb texture then
1 part rolled oats
1 part demerara sugar

The result is rather - meh.  Am I missing a secret ingredient to give it some pep ?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Better crumble topping.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 08:30 »
This Nigel Slater one is good - a bit more butter and less dry ingredients than you used, but just a tweak on stuff you already have.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/applecrumble_89166

You can freeze crumble topping very successfully.  I make a decent sized batch and freeze in portions big enough to cover the dish I usually use.  If in need of emergency crumble (it happens  :lol:), you can use it straight out of the freezer.  Bash the bag to break it up if need be, sprinkle over filling of choice and bake  :)

jaydig

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 08:46 »
I tend to use the old fashioned mix of:  8 oz flour:  3 oz butter:  5 oz sugar.  This seems to give a good crumble.  If I'm adding rolled oats I adjust the quantity of flour slightly to allow for this so that the mix isn't too dry. If I'm adding chopped nuts I don't bother, but just throw them in and stir through afterwards, same for coconut.
As New Shoot says, I tend to multiply the quantities and mix up a large batch then put it in the freezer in a bag. It doesn't stick together and you can take out as much or as little as you need. It means I can knock together a pudding very quickly if I'm short of time.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 08:51 »
I like to add a tablespoon, or 2 depending on batch size, to my crumble mix and, if I have them in the cupboard, throw a few flaked almonds on the top  :)

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 14:43 »
Looks like my ratio is off and needs to be 2:1 in total, I've said before I prefer pie but needs must as the devil drives.

How much sugar does that Slater bloke use  :ohmy: , he is to sugar what Jamie Oliver is to garlic and James Martin is to butter  ::)  Flaked almonds are usually in the cupboard so I'll also try those next time; any spices worth adding ? I like a little sprinkle of cinnamon on the apples and was considering a pinch of ground cardamon in the crumble.

Once I  have this sorted I'll knock some up for freezing, as there's an pudding emergency here too  :tongue2: sometimes.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 15:50 »
I like to add a tablespoon, or 2 depending on batch size, of ground almonds to my crumble mix and, if I have them in the cupboard, throw a few flaked almonds on the top  :)

Obviously I wasn't properly awake when I first posted, as I missed some info  ::)

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2021, 15:56 »
I just assumed you'd borrowed my keyboard MoS  :lol: Ground almonds are also a standard cupboard item so will try a no nut and then a nutty mix.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2021, 16:47 »
I am very fond of crumble mix,  also spices.   I tend to add some to my crumble mix.  ie:   ground cloves, cinnamon, sometimes nutmeg or ground allspice.    Not masses, but enough to think, thats nice.   Good luck and enjoy,  Mrs B.
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2021, 16:55 »
I always add porridge oats & too use Demerara sugar, plus various nuts as the mood takes, a few bits of dried fruit are nice too or I’ve even added granola on occasions, can’t tell you measurements as I just do it by eye.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2021, 17:35 »
How much sugar does that Slater bloke use  :ohmy:

It is to make the top really crisp up and get a crunch to it, but it is a sweet mix.  I tend to like fairly unsweet fruit bases and so it works for me.  If you use less it would be a softer more traditional topping.

Cardamom works really well.  I sometimes use it with dried unsweetened coconut in the topping.  Fresh ginger grated into apple is great as a base.  Not tried ground ginger, but I think that would work in the topping.  Gives a little kick to it all  :)

perris

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2021, 06:36 »
A dash of fruit vinegar perks up whatever's under the topping, in case you want to ring some changes there too     :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2021, 20:08 »
I like to add a tablespoon, or 2 depending on batch size, of ground almonds to my crumble mix and, if I have them in the cupboard, throw a few flaked almonds on the top  :)

Obviously I wasn't properly awake when I first posted, as I missed some info  ::)

I had wondered! And assumed you meant rolled oats. So I'm very glad you clarified  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Lardman

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2021, 08:06 »
Last night attempt : Better, but still not right. 

I'm using up the Jonagold apples before they turn mealy so that I think is impacting on the sugar effect dramatically.  I didn't sweeten the apples, just a pinch of cinnamon but even with 50g of sugar in the topping as a desert, it was sickly sweet. It may be different with cooking apples in there but I'll need to leave the sugar out.  I over blitzed the flour and butter and everything was too uniform and lacked texture, even with the oats and flaked almonds which didn't help.

Think I'll also have a look down the cereal isle for nutty/grainy stuff to add onto the next shopping.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2021, 09:09 »
Try adding a tablespoon of lemon juice to your apples, it does help if using eating apples (or even for the so-called 'Bramleys' that Trashco are selling atm ::)
I have a little bottle of lemon juice in the fridge for just this kind of thing  ;)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2021, 11:41 »
A dash of fruit vinegar perks up whatever's under the topping, in case you want to ring some changes there too     :D
Cider vinegar and I've got raspberry as well.  I hadn't thought of that.   Mrs B

xx
Best crumble topping

Started by Diddy Gardener on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post April 19, 2014, 10:08
by strangerachael
xx
crumble topping

Started by LILLILEAF on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post September 05, 2017, 18:15
by snowdrops
xx
Crumble ??

Started by SG6 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

17 Replies
Last post July 07, 2012, 17:24
by shokkyy
xx
Crumble or pie?

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

43 Replies
Last post April 26, 2010, 18:44
by Havengore

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 54 queries.