Pate & choccie truffle ideas please

• 11 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Pate & choccie truffle ideas please
« on: December 14, 2009, 21:14 »
I'm planning a few homemade gifts for Christmas. Got the fruit flavoured booze sorted but thought of pate and choccy truffles as good gifts as well.

Has anyone got some really good recipes please.  Also with pate - is it better to cook in a big tin and portion up or can you do individuals. All the recipes I've found make a huge loaf tin of it.

here's hopefully and thank you in advance  :D

noshed

Re: Pate & choccie truffle ideas please
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 21:26 »
Can't see why you wouldn't be able to do little pots of pate sealed with melted butter. It would need to be quite fine grained though for a small pot. Simple chicken liver or mackerel would be nice. Maybe this type of thing: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/chickenliverpate_85880.shtml
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Patricia

• Experienced Member
    • My Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 23:22 »
I make pate in little ramikins and seal with butter. You can also seal with aspic or a gelatin type too.
Take a package of chicken livers and pat dry with kitchen paper. Fry 1 finely chopped onion or some shallots in butter with a clove of garlic for about 3 to 5 minutes until softened but not browned. Add the livers and fry for about 5 minutes until cooked through turning several times. Then put about a tablespoon of brandy and flame the livers. Then remove from heat. Let cool slightly. Place into a food processor along with some double cream about 3 to 4 tablespoons and season with salt and pepper and about 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves. I also add a little more brandy. Process until smooth and place into 6 ramekin dishes I top this with melted butter but also could be sealed with a gelatin mixture.

chrissie B

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 10:19 »
going to have a go at that , roughly how many chicken livers , i dont want to make tonnes of the stuff .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 21:02 »
How long does your pate keep Patricia? It sounds good but would it be OK in the fridge for a few days as am not seeing the folks I want to give it to until Boxing Day.

catllar

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 14:58 »
Over here pate is made in tiny kilner jars and sterilized. Then it keeps for years. Preserved duck works well like that too.

Patricia

• Experienced Member
    • My Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 22:10 »
I just used a packet from the shop of livers. Not sure how many were in it...... roughly about 9 to 10 I would say.

Once you put the butter over it, it should last a few days in the refrigerator. Not sure if you can freeze it or not as I haven't tried that.

catllar

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 09:11 »
I've tried freezing it - not good - goes all grainy and gritty.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 14:05 »
Might be a bit late - I usually make chcolate truffles from white & dark chocolate.
I think I use 1 lb (2 bars) of dark chocolate, 8oz butter, small pot of double cream; for the white chocolates, I use less butter & cream as the white chocolate is "meltier".
Way I do it is to bring the cream almost to boiling point, but don't let it boil; grate or finally chop the choc; remove cream from heat, stir in grated chocolate, then cubed butter and beat really well. If you want to use alcohol, then you need to melt the chocolate and add the alcohol and beat well, then add to warm cream and butter otherwise it curdles.
Bung it in the fridge for a few hours to firm up.
I then use a large melon baller, or 2 spoons to make "lumps" which i put on oiled
 parchment paper baking trays in the freezer . Once they are frozen I then use a skewer to dip the truffles in contrasting coloured chocolate. You can either put them back in the freezer, or defrost and use. they do sweat a little, but will be fine after a while, so don't wrap them immediately. they should be kept in the fridge for as many days as the cream was in date for if you see what I mean? You can also roll in sugar strand, crushed flake bar, cocoa, nuts, crushed amaretti biscuits..etc, etc
HTH

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 12:29 »
Thanks Janey - not too late at all. I've got a few days off next week so planning to go all domestic goddess and make my pressies then  ;)

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 14:40 »
Just checked my recipe - too much butter - you only need about 2 ounces per quantity - knew something didn't look quite right!

Patricia

• Experienced Member
    • My Garden blog
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 09:51 »
Thanks Catllar. Now I know  you can't freeze it.

xx
pate

Started by chazza on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 13:49
by mrs bouquet
xx
broadbean pate

Started by prakash_mib on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post May 19, 2012, 12:12
by chrissie B
wireless
pate question

Started by titch on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 12:54
by madcat
xx
Rabbit Pate

Started by Bodger on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post August 07, 2008, 20:22
by crowndale

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 36 queries.