Confused by jam recipes

• 8 Replies

willowman

• Experienced Member
Confused by jam recipes
« on: December 17, 2008, 08:29 »
I am desperate to try jam making with the blackberries collected from our lane, but.... I am so confused by the recipes.
Some say use pectin sugar, some say use sugar and add the right amount of pectin for the fruit.
Some say different fruits have different levels of pectin, so how do I know how much, of which product, to use?
Some say boil to the right temperature (I've just bought a jam thermometer), others say do the set test on a saucer. If you've never seen the set test done how do you know when it's right?
Can I make a small batch first, to see if I can get it right, or is it best to make the large quantities as per the recipes?
Oh dear, so many questions, sorry, but I'm a mere lad of 60, at last discovering the joy of growing my own, and making my own (my elderberry vodka is mmmmmm!).
I started out with nothing.....and I've still got most of it.

chrissie B

Confused by jam recipes
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 12:16 »
well hello willowman and welcome .
i too love the home made jam and blackberry being one of my favourites , you should pop to the recipe slot on the forum it has all the info you will need for jams , marmalade and every thing really and some great recipes as well you will find it just above the flashing crimbo lights at the top of your page .

have a lovely Christmas and good luck with the jam .
Chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
    • Recipes
Confused by jam recipes
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 12:32 »
Here you are, the full index Storing and Making Your Own Food. I explain in Making Jams & Sweet Preserves, Conserves. :santa:
Val
Recipes Galore!

willowman

• Experienced Member
Confused by jam recipes
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 07:37 »
Thanks for the guidance.
I really must take some time to fully explore this site, there is so much useful info.....and such helpful people.
What a wonderful world it would be if everybody was like the members of this site.

Oscar Too

Confused by jam recipes
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 09:41 »
Don't worry too much.  It's all experience - the best thing is to get in there and do it.  You'll only get better.

Most important is to make sure that your jars and lids are scrupulously clean and sterile.  I wash them in very hot water, and dry in a hot oven.

That way, even if the jam doesn't set, it won't spoil, and you'll have a lovely blackberry coulis to add to yoghurt, ice-cream, or custard later on.

BTW, I rarely make jam that sets - I don't like adding so much sugar, and I don't like boiling the fruit for so long.  Instead I make Russian varenie, which runny, and has more of a fruit taste.  Yummy.

Poolfield2

Confused by jam recipes
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 12:53 »
Quote from: "willowman"
Thanks for the guidance.
I really must take some time to fully explore this site, there is so much useful info.....and such helpful people.
What a wonderful world it would be if everybody was like the members of this site.

I'll say here, here to that :lol:

ceri green

• Experienced Member
Confused by jam recipes
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 18:43 »
the critical key to success is that you alternate each step of the jam making with drinking a glass of elderberry vodka.......................

willowman

• Experienced Member
Confused by jam recipes
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 07:28 »
Good idea ceri, I also have to strain and bottle a further litre of elderberry vodka, a litre of blackberry vodka and a 75cc bottle of elderberry white rum (the last ones an experiment), so perhaps I should do them all at the same time?
Perhaps I could add the left over vodka soaked fruit to the jam?
Now there's an idea!

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
    • Recipes
Confused by jam recipes
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 11:52 »
I would! Then again I'm forever adding spirits, especially to marmalades :tongue2:  :tongue2:  :tongue2: .

xx
So Confused, please help

Started by karenm on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post June 03, 2009, 15:36
by karenm
xx
Recipes

Started by Val H on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post November 25, 2008, 21:31
by Beetroot queen
xx
can not see recipes

Started by kevinp on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post August 14, 2010, 08:54
by joyfull
smiley
recipes

Started by phil-c on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post October 19, 2010, 18:17
by phil-c

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 37 queries.