Homemade for Parsnips

• 3 Replies

iggyboy60

• Experienced Member
Homemade for Parsnips
« on: March 31, 2011, 09:24 »
Here is a novel idea for starting off your Parsnips at home which you can then take to the plot with a guaranteed full and neat row of parsnips. Get hold of a newspaper,masking tape,ice cream tub and a cylinder shaped object of approx 2" in diameter. You will already have one fold in your newspaper so turn it the opposite way and fold it twice more so has to have four separate folds. Cut down each fold then roll the strips of newspaper round your cylinder shape,which could be an aerosol can,I used a deoderent container. Run a strip of masking tape all the way down the end of the paper strip so as to hold it together. Slide the paper down the cylinder just enough to make a fold on the bottom of the paper so you can seal the bottom of your paper and hey presto you have one homemade container. Continue this process until you have as many containers as you wish to have. The beauty of this idea comes together when you realise that as long as you fill and pack these paper containers side by side with compost into an old ice cream tub they wont fall apart. Put two parsnip seeds in each container and get rid of the weaker one. The trick is to give them one good watering and leave them be until germination. After that carry to the plot in the tub in a carrier bag and put into the ground knowing the paper will simply bio degrade. Jobs a good one :) :)
people talk rubbish

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Homemade for Parsnips
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 09:53 »
Paper pots are very popular on this site and not just for parsnips  ;)

here's our link

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=11390.msg145648#msg145648

iggyboy60

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 18:18 »
Great link Mumofstig,lots of good ideas,but I do feel a bit silly not knowing the link before putting the idea up. I got it from one of the older boys on our site and half thought it would already be known about. It has worked for me with parsnips three years running.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 20:04 »
It has worked for me with parsnips three years running.

That's what counts, and that's why we do  ;)

clip
homemade lightbox

Started by jay001 on Frugal Living

3 Replies
Last post February 21, 2014, 19:14
by gavinjconway
xx
Homemade wormery

Started by the witters on Frugal Living

4 Replies
Last post February 22, 2011, 15:21
by Dreamer@45
xx
Homemade soil test

Started by parsley on Frugal Living

5 Replies
Last post April 02, 2013, 11:01
by Amilo
xx
Homemade air freshener as seen on Facebook

Started by grinling on Frugal Living

8 Replies
Last post April 13, 2016, 08:00
by ghost61

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 39 queries.