Soft shell eggs

• 5 Replies

ghost61

Soft shell eggs
« on: September 24, 2013, 19:42 »
My three light sussex are about 7months old and since they started laying they have been as regular as clockwork, producing three eggs a day. A couple of days ago, Top Bird laid a soft shell egg whilst roosting. I thought that perhaps she had been frightened by a fox or something - she is the most skittisH and alarmist of the three. No egg yesterday from her, and today, another soft shell egg in the nest box.

The other two are fine.

Nothing seems wrong with Top Bird, she is alert and feeding, including grit and oyster shell. Tonight I mixed some grit and shell with some corn and fed it to her just in case she isn't picking up enough grit.

Could there be another reason for this sudden change? Or am I being over anxious and expecting too much from these young birds?

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Soft shell eggs
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 09:55 »
I would cut out all treats including the corn.  It could be down to the shorter days and her not getting enough layers pellets which will contain all she needs for good egg shell quality.  You can always add some boiled water to some layers, let it cool and give her that as a porridge in the late afternoon which would help increase her intake.  If she has not been wormed with flubenvet recently (last 3 months) I would also do that so she is clear for the colder weather and long nights.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

ghost61

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 14:08 »
Thanks. Have spent the whole morning observing her and she is behaving oddly at times. She cackles as if she has laid an egg until I come and calm her down. Later she disappeared into the hen house, emerged an hour later cackling but hadn't laid an egg. She is bright, alert, eating pellets and greens - nothing else put out, much to Sticky Beak's chagrin  :(. Will see her later tonight when I lock them up. They are coming home for the winter so will worm them all beforehand to ensure that they are all in fine fettle.

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 08:32 »
Going into the hen house may indicate she is trying to lay another soft shelled egg - it is very hard for them and takes a lot out of them. Go with ANHBUC advice :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ghost61

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 15:13 »
Just an update. Top Bird had laid a soft shell and a normal egg during the night whilst roosting! Hoping that she is now sorted out, poor thing!

About worming, has anyone tried the pellets that contain flubenvet by Marriages? Seems a good way of doing this rather than faffing around with small measurements.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 20:31 »
I used a local brand that does the same and it is so much easier but they should not be allowed to free range as they might not get enough of the flubenvet.  Some people prefer to put a small amount of flubenvet powder on a cut grape for each bird daily for 7 days.

xx
Soft shell and no eggs

Started by tomgood99 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 22, 2011, 11:48
by tomgood99
xx
soft shell eggs

Started by happy clucker 1951 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 29, 2009, 20:42
by Spacey
xx
Soft Shell Eggs

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 30, 2011, 21:14
by ANHBUC
xx
soft shell eggs

Started by chickadee on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 24, 2009, 12:30
by Lydia-Maria

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 38 queries.