Too late to plant garlic?

• 3 Replies

Casey76

Too late to plant garlic?
« on: March 20, 2014, 09:40 »
I always read about people planting their garlic inthe depths of winter, but the garlic sets(?) have only just appeared in the GCs over the past month.  On the label it says you can plant between Jan and April (these are "pink" type garlic if that makes any difference) and harvest June to Sep?

Is French garlic different to English garlic?

Lardman

Re: Too late to plant garlic?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 09:56 »
There are 2 types autumn planted and spring, lots of us here seem to grow music which is an autumn planting variety, but the spring planting types are starting to show up in the usual places. I saw some at been and queued earlier this week. So plant away  :) Just dont forget to split the bulbs into their cloves.

Is French garlic different to English garlic?

<Insert Xenophobic joke here>

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 10:00 »
Garlic has to experience vernalisation - a period of cold to trigger the production of new cloves to form a complete bulb.

The figures given vary a lot, but 10C or less for around 40 days is probably about the average.

Vernalisation usually takes place in the ground, but it appears that it can be done 'artificially' (i.e. by refrigeration) before planting - it's only a guess of course but perhaps that's what the French do to prepare their spring-sown garlic.

Brief reference to refrigeration HERE (paragraph below the picture of garlic bulbs.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 10:05 »
Thanks both.  I will give it a try then (the garlic averages about 3.50€ for 5 or 6 whole bulbs (so approx 40 cloves) - I think it's worth an experiment.

If they don't divide by the time they're picked, I'm sure they will make lovely roasters ;)

xx
Is it too late to plant some garlic?

Started by spursn17 on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post December 18, 2011, 12:14
by mumofstig
xx
too late to plant Garlic?

Started by freyaluck on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 17, 2008, 16:08
by wighty
xx
Too late to plant garlic ?

Started by beeteehum on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 26, 2022, 08:54
by JayG
question
Am I too late to plant garlic?

Started by Geordie Gal on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 08, 2010, 20:21
by Apostrophes

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 37 queries.