coriander?

• 15 Replies

Fat Hen

coriander?
« on: May 29, 2007, 18:41 »
Over the years I've planted loads of coriander but its always thin and straggly and soon goes towards flowers which means the end of it.  I've tried cutting/not cutting but always disappointing.

Anybody know how I can grow the beutiflul thick, lush green stuff that you see in the asian stores?

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
coriander?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 18:46 »
mine goes to seed after 3-4 weeks, but I have just today nipped out the growning tip to see if it helps.. they are about 12 inches tall at the mo

WG.

coriander?
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 18:52 »
Are you growing to get leaf or for seed?

Fat Hen

coriander?
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 18:58 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Are you growing to get leaf or for seed?

Hi Whiskey golf trying to grow for the green stuff.  I try and cut off the flower heads as they appear.

Plants grown in partial shade in overcrowded greenhouse.

I use seed obtained in 500g  bags at an asian store.  They stock two types one husked for use in cooking the other unhusked for growing (thats what I was told anyway).

Fat Hen

coriander?
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 19:02 »
Quote from: "Sadgit"
mine goes to seed after 3-4 weeks, but I have just today nipped out the growning tip to see if it helps.. they are about 12 inches tall at the mo

Thats better than mine I'ts about 4" and going to seed (well it's trying), I cut off the flower stalks, but it just goes off, starts to look limp and pale.

noshed

coriander?
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 19:09 »
I've found the fine-leaved stuff is less prone to bolting but I'm sure the asian people on our site just use the big packets
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

WG.

coriander?
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 19:09 »
Doesn't need a greenhouse.

Broadcast sow, fairly thickly (sorry but I do this 'by eye'), into a fertile spot with good moisture retention.  Incorporating rotted manure is a good way (coriander likes a good feed). Early season or dry-weather sowings can be covered with glass or fleece but remove as soon as they surface.

Keep moist and keep weeded.  Cut the whole plant when 4 to 6" tall.  Don't touch it before then.

Repeat sowings every two weeks.

P.S. I now only use proper seed for sowing (variety Santo) after some very poor results with food-shop stuff (some of it can be years old).  Santo isn't too expensive when bought in bulk.  :D

P.P.S. I cut around 1 or 2kg every week for 40 weeks of the year so I do have some experience in this.  :wink:

Fat Hen

coriander?
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 19:27 »
.  :D

P.P.S. I cut around 1 or 2kg every week for 40 weeks of the year so I do have some experience in this.  :wink:

Wow you must really like coriander :twisted:

I'll try what you said (well as near as I can get in tubs).

Only use greenhouse for somewhere to keep pots (10") thats sheltered and out of way of chickens.

agapanthus

coriander?
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 19:42 »
Doesn't need a greenhouse.

Broadcast sow, fairly thickly (sorry but I do this 'by eye'), into a fertile spot with good moisture retention.  Incorporating rotted manure is a good way (coriander likes a good feed). Early season or dry-weather sowings can be covered with glass or fleece but remove as soon as they surface.

Keep moist and keep weeded.  Cut the whole plant when 4 to 6" tall.  Don't touch it before then.

Repeat sowings every two weeks.

P.S. I now only use proper seed for sowing (variety Santo) after some very poor results with food-shop stuff (some of it can be years old).  Santo isn't too expensive when bought in bulk.  :D

Totally agree with you WG.....although Ialways use the big bags from asian foodshops :)   I think the secret is the sow fairly thickly and to cut the whole crop :)

WG.

coriander?
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 20:05 »
Quote from: "Fat Hen"
Wow you must really like coriander [WG: I do but I also sell it]
I'll try what you said (well as near as I can get in tubs).

Only use greenhouse for somewhere to keep pots (10") thats sheltered and out of way of chickens.

Deep tubs since coriander is deep rooted.   I reckon half your problem is the greenhouse ... one hot day & it wants to bolt.  I use a cool conservatory but only in the very early season.

PS : Thanks Aggy

Fat Hen

coriander?
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 20:38 »
Quote from: "Fat Hen"

Deep tubs since coriander is deep rooted.   I reckon half your problem is the greenhouse ... one hot day & it wants to bolt.  I use a cool conservatory but only in the very early season.

PS : Thanks Aggy

Hmm and pots too by sounds of it i'm not giving it room for roots to develop.  See so much of it in supermarkets that I thought I could grow it better at home in pots.

PS: does parsley have the same the same needs as this too is a problem plant for me?  Now basil thats a different story does very well indeed.

WG.

coriander?
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 20:41 »
Parsley is also deep rooted (and hungry) but is much less likely to bolt.

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
coriander?
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 22:32 »
I've grown both in pots but, yes, parsley needs a deep pot. Coriander has been okay in my shallow windowpots but it does bolt once it gets warm. I had some selfseed and grow nicely over winter but that's in a very mild area slightly sheltered roof garden.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
coriander?
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 06:24 »
so it is all my fault? because I start it off in the greenhouse then transplant... best to broadcast sow outside... beginning to realise my mistakes here :)

thanks for the advice guys, as ever..

Smudgeboy

• Experienced Member
coriander?
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 22:40 »
If, like me, you've got some that's bolted, can it be left to harvest the seeds instead?

If so, how and when?
Veg? That's chips, innit?

xx
Coriander

Started by Florablunder on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 24, 2019, 21:57
by Florablunder
xx
Coriander

Started by tallulah on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 06, 2013, 23:50
by agapanthus
xx
Coriander

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post April 24, 2010, 16:46
by chris23005
xx
What do i do with my coriander..

Started by samnorfolk on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 25, 2013, 17:29
by seaside

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 35 queries.