Coriander

• 6 Replies

Florablunder

Coriander
« on: June 18, 2019, 18:29 »
Anyone got any good tips for growing a regular supply of coriander? I've tried twice now planting seedlings out in my herb patch on the allotment and they have all been eaten immediately by the slugs. I've got some in a pot at home, but they are growing pretty slowly (and attacked by aphids). At this rate it will take me all summer to grow enough for one curry!

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
Re: Coriander
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 20:09 »
I have more luck with confetti coriander and plant a new 10 litre pot every month between last to first frost.  Could probably eat more though!
I can't grow spinach.  Chard, beet spinach, salad leaves,pak choi all do well but spinach dies within hours of sprouting!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 20:10 by hasbeans »

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 20:57 »
Coriander will rise to flower if sowed in the spring, but you will get some leaves. If you sow after 21st June you should get more leaves and less likelihood of going to seed. I sowed some in September last year in modules and planted them in the greenhouse. Got a good lot of leaves in spring then they went to seed, which I have let them do. Now have five foot high plants that the bees love, and will have more coriander seeds than I can possibly use! Did the same with caraway outside - let me know if you want any seed!

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 23:19 »
If you've got a slug problem I'd treat that first before tying again, you could use something environmentally friendly such as nematodes or the eco-friendly slug pellets.   I'm not sure that coriander likes being moved/transplanted, at least mine doesn't. So I'd sow it direct where you want it to grow.

I let mine grow at random across the veg plot; each year I let some plants go to seed, and once they're dry I just throw the seeds across the plot. Plants pop up wherever, and I just let them grow amongst the other veg, we always have some somewhere. I suppose the slugs and greenfly can't find all my plants at once!  Happy to send you some of my spare seeds if you PM me.

G&R

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 09:41 »
One tip from an Indian friend is to gently crack the seeds under a rolling pin as then they germinate more readily. It does seem to improve germination.

And if the plants do flower, then the green seeds are absolutely delicious

(I know this wasn't the question exactly but it seemed a good place to say this!)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

cc

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 10:51 »
I have been very successful at growing over winter in a conservatory. They grow slow but never go to seed. If you grow enough then you cut them down a bit or cut of some of the stalks so you have continuous supply through out the winter. May work in a greenhouse??

Florablunder

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 21:57 »
Thanks all - some useful suggestions there that I'll try out.
Flora

xx
Coriander

Started by tezmac on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 12:15
by HLS
xx
coriander?

Started by Fat Hen on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 30, 2007, 22:45
by WG.
xx
Coriander

Started by colinc on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 18, 2012, 09:45
by suesowsseed
xx
Coriander

Started by tallulah on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 06, 2013, 23:50
by agapanthus

Page created in 0.699 seconds with 45 queries.