Leggy Plant Question

• 21 Replies

Coldfeet

Re: Leggy Plant Question
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 22:31 »
What about spinach and fennel?   Bit crushed that what I thought were healthy seedlings appear to be 'leggy' and should be binned.   What do normal 'unleggy' seedlings look like?   How do I know, and what prevents them being leggy.   So much to learn........

al78

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 23:33 »
What about spinach and fennel?   Bit crushed that what I thought were healthy seedlings appear to be 'leggy' and should be binned.   What do normal 'unleggy' seedlings look like?   How do I know, and what prevents them being leggy.   So much to learn........

Unleggy seedlings are short and sturdy, leggy seedlings are long and spindly and flop about.

I believe legginess is caused by insufficient light and/or too much warmth, which causes them to grow fast to find a light source becoming drawn out in the process. It tends to happen when growing seedlings on windowsills as they are only lit from one side, as opposed to if they were outside when they would receive light from all angles. It also tends to happen when sowing seeds very early when the days are short; some people use artificial lighting to provide the necessary light levels required to prevent legginess.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 07:10 »
some people use artificial lighting to provide the necessary light levels required to prevent legginess.

Most people use a cheap bit of aluminium foil placed behind the plants to reflect light back. This almost doubles the light level.

I think we've occasionally mentioned it!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 07:36 »
And brassicas!

Thats good to know .... went in the GH yesterday to find that my cauliflowers have shot up and all floppy!  So done an emergency re pot up to the seed leaves .... not been in there this morning to see if they are OK.

My All round year round lettuce needs transplanting but forgot DD's process and have used all of my seed trays .... the second true leaves are opening so will pop them straight out! 
2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2013, 07:41 »
Get those brassicas outside soon. They don't want the temperatures the greenhouses are now getting up to!

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2013, 12:42 »
Get those brassicas outside soon. They don't want the temperatures the greenhouses are now getting up to!

Oh I thought they would need to be bigger! consider the advice taken and they're on their way outside, once the wind has calm down and I have brought some slug defences!!!

Mark's Sussex Allotment

• 38 year old male, Married father of two
    • Mark's Sussex Allotment
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2013, 18:27 »
They can stay in pots in a sheltered place, they just dont need to be hot. Hardy things, they are :)
When weeding, the best way to know if its a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull it.

If it comes out easy, it was a valuable plant !

xx
Is my cucumber plant leggy?

Started by mclarkuk1 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 14:19
by Kristen
xx
New Raspberry Plant question.

Started by Seanav on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 14, 2021, 16:15
by Earthling850
xx
Plug plant question

Started by AnneB on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 30, 2020, 08:46
by rowlandwells
xx
4 week old tomato plant question

Started by andyw on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 15, 2012, 21:15
by savbo

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 35 queries.