U.S. Chicken Farms

• 13 Replies

helens-hens

U.S. Chicken Farms
« on: February 13, 2012, 17:53 »
I get email updates from Compassion in World Farming and the latest contained this article about these mega sized farms (birds for the table rather than eggs) in Georgia.

http://www.ciwf.org.uk/what_we_do/meat_chickens/usa_investigation/default.aspx?appealcode=WE0212b

I didn't look at the video, the pictures were enough. Generally this chicken chat part of the forum is a light hearted place but I think it is important to spread the word about some of things which go on in the farming world  :(
Helen

grinling

Re: U.S. Chicken Farms
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 21:41 »
Same in this country, but sheds a little smaller. Chickens can go in live into factory. This is why chicken is very cheap in this country and it is also shipped in from abroad.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 23:26 »
Loads of poultry meat shipped in from abroad, and we don't know how the poor things have been treated.

It's terrible what goes on!

helens-hens

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 10:11 »
As you say, I am sure a lot of chicken meat is imported. If you buy fresh poultry then most of it seems to be British (and we know conditions here can sometimes be far from perfect!) but you don't know what goes into pies, soups, take-aways etc.

Beano

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 10:18 »
I saw that to. I recommend  you watch the video. There's a nice story in it among the gloom.
More people should see how these birds are kept. Maybe they will be less inclined to expect cheap meat from the supermarkets. I always think if the meat is cheap the animal has payed a very high price. We ought to buy our meat from the butchers, because in that way you are not so disassociated from the animal. In supermarkets everything is packaged in a way to make you forget that an animal has had to die to produce it.
El.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 11:25 »
Even in this day and age of high profile TV etc.  I am still surprised at the number of people who do not associate their dinner meat with an animal.  And the number who don't want to know!   :( :(

helens-hens

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 12:32 »
I have just watched the video and I am glad I did because as you mentioned Beano, there is a glimmer of hope there.

GrannieAnnie I agree that some people don't want to know where their food comes from. Some may not actually care how it is produced and some are aware that they probably wouldn't like how it is produced so look no further.

Another thing to bear in mind is cost. I am fortunate that at the moment I can afford to buy high welfare meat but totally understand that there are many out there who can't.

The video also made the important point that perhaps we need to rethink how much meat we really need to eat. Or we could make what we buy go further.

I'd better get off my soapbox and get back to work now!

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 12:42 »
I think meat is a bigger part of our diet than it used to be.  I remember when I was young, although we ate meat most days.  We only had turkey at Christmas, chicken was special for Sunday, but through the week it was the remainder of the Sunday roast on Monday, then chops one day, which I'm sure weren't as expensive as they are now, sausages another day, cottage pie, then fish and chips on Friday.

Saturday was my Dad's baking day.  He was a brilliant pastry cook, so pie was on the menu Saturdays.

Dad had his own chickens at times, and before I was born he kept a couple of pigs on his allotment (can you see that now? lol) 

Then of course there had to be steak and kidney pudding in there occasionally!  More pudding than steak! lol

Beano

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 13:25 »
Yes I remember GrannieAnnie when I was little, chicken was a luxury that was reserved for Sundays. We used to have the "cheap" cuts of meat like breast and scrag-end of lamb. Most of the animal was used those days. People used to be better cooks. My mother used to be able to rustle up a lovely meal out of a small scrap of left over meat and lots of fresh veg.
We do eat far too much meat these days and the whole thing has led to the inhumane/cruel factory farming we have now.
We, the consumers caused it and it's time we reversed it.

kegs

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 13:37 »
We only had turkey at Christmas, chicken was special for Sunday,  the remainder of the Sunday roast on Monday, then chops one day,  sausages another day, cottage pie, then fish and chips on Friday.

Saturday was my Dad's baking day.  He was a brilliant pastry cook, so pie was on the menu Saturdays.

Dad had his own chickens at times, and before I was born he kept a couple of pigs on his allotment (can you see that now? lol) 

Then of course there had to be steak and kidney pudding in there occasionally!  More pudding than steak! lol

Stop GrannieAnnie - you're making me hungry !  ;)

There was also an awful picture (highlighted by Joanna Lumley for compassion in world farming http://www.ciwf.org.uk/farm_animals/pigs/default.aspx) in last weeks paper of someone culling a pig with a crow bar.  I just don't understand how someone could do that.  :(

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 15:25 »
I grew up in the States and can say I never saw a live chicken in my life until I moved here.  That said, I never saw a live pig outside of the state of Indiana, and never saw a sheep outside of a petting zoo - AND I lived in the country!  It is unlawful in many states to keep chickens other than on commercial farms.  So you can see why people don't keep their own.  A few states allow a person to have them in their gardens, but it is rare.
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Eggcentric

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 07:58 »
I don't want to be arguementative but I have to disagree with you LittleRedHen.  I am from the states and it isn't unlawful in any state to keep chickens.  It is usually unlawful within city limits to keep livestock of any kind including chickens.  Even in rural areas it may depend on the local zoning laws for your particular area whether or not you can keep chickens or other livestock.

Commercial farming isn't nice no matter where it is!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 08:08 »
I saw a programme on TV a short while ago where they had chicken squads who went out catching free ranging wild chickens in the States. It seemed like some areas are over run with them.
Staffies are softer than you think.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 14:06 »
I never stated that it was a Federal law, but it is very common for the local authorities to nix farm animals in estates and even rural areas like I lived in, as the area also encompassed a small town.  My whole county was rural but it had many small towns, and I know that it was so county-wide.  I was just stating what I knew to be true through my own experience.  That doesn't mean that it holds true for all the states in the whole mainland country.  I've clarified what I wrote and I stand by it.   :closedeyes:

I have no idea what states have a problem with rogue chickens, but would probably guess that it had to be out west. 

xx
Chicken Pot

Started by billathome65 on Chicken Chat

29 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 05:00
by min200
xx
One very wet chicken.

Started by alancane on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post November 14, 2010, 19:32
by New shoot
xx
Chicken was almost put down

Started by Oliveview on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post June 30, 2013, 00:09
by Oliveview
xx
For the chicken who has everything......

Started by New shoot on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post October 10, 2015, 16:30
by nerdle

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 40 queries.