Poorly Chicken - how to help

• 2 Replies

mommachicken

Poorly Chicken - how to help
« on: September 02, 2011, 13:02 »
Hi everyone,

I would really appreciate a little advice as we have recently re-homed 6 chickens from a free range farm and although they are very happy on the whole one of them is pretty sick at the moment. We have had one or two problems with bullying and vent pecking but I just separated the injured bird, cleaned her up and after a couple of days all went back to normal. Then another bird was attacked badly so I have done the same again but this time this chicken huddled up, hid from view and has hardly eaten. Today I have looked and her vent is oozing white liquid, which I am assuming means there may be a blockage as well as lots of infection. My question is, should I rush her to the vet and get some antibiotics or should I be cleaning and dressing the area myself?

If it is the vet is there an avian Vet nr Arundel that anyone knows of or can you go to a standard vet?

Thank you in advance for your advice

helens-hens

Re: Poorly Chicken - how to help
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 13:47 »
I'm not sure what the white liquid is - is she still laying & if so has she since the attack?

Personally, if in doubt take her to the vet. I have had a quick look through various poultry friendly vets lists and the nearest I could find is about 20 miles away. I found this on the poultry keeper web sight:

http://poultrykeeper.com/poultry-vets-uk/south-downs-veterinary-consultancy.html

First though try ringing your normal vet and ask if they treat poultry. If they don't they may be able to recommend somebody nearer.

If the fighting continues and blood is drawn, if you haven't already, get some Gentian violet spray which will disguise the blood and help prevent pecking.

Hope this helps and she gets better soon

Helen
Helen

Helenaj

Re: Poorly Chicken - how to help
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 14:33 »
the white liquid may be as a result of vent gleet - it is also a condition that usually results in vent pecking as the area is often inflamed. If it does turn out to be vent gleet, the only thing I have found effective against it is Canestan cream as it is a form of thrush. Clean the area thoroughly in warm water with a little antibacterial wash in it and apply the cream in and around the vent twice a day until the symptoms clear.

xx
Chicken poorly?????

Started by chicken little on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2010, 18:21
by chooksbury
question
Poorly chicken

Started by Winterbourn on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 19, 2009, 22:41
by iwantanallotment
xx
poorly chicken

Started by janetsgirls on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 24, 2007, 20:51
by janetsgirls
xx
Very Poorly Chicken

Started by bogwoppitinatree on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 28, 2011, 12:11
by avalonbirds

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 34 queries.