Do I have a poorly chicken?

• 3 Replies

peterjmayes

Do I have a poorly chicken?
« on: August 10, 2010, 13:57 »
Hi all

First post from a complete newby to keeping chickens (aren't they great fun).

We recently (week last Saturday) bought three 18 week Black Rocks. One has a very short comb and is exhibiting signs of what can only be described as gagging with the occasional loud sqawk. She had if for a few days last week; it cleared up over the weekend, but has appeared again this week. She seem quieter than the  other two birds but otherwise looks fine. She does not appear to eat as much and when she does she often extends her neck and opens her beak.

Non of the birds have started laying and they are all as good as gold in going to bed at dusk.

Do I have a poorly chicken? What could it be.

Help would be much appreaciated.

Thanks.

Peter

sneezer

• Experienced Member
Re: Do I have a poorly chicken?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 14:20 »
Hello there! welcome to the mad world of chicken keeping!! Do you know if they were wormed before you had them? It kind of sounds like gape worm, flubenvet is the best wormer to use its easy and there is no egg withdrawal, someone else will be along to help if I'm wrong.  :)

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 19:34 »
could she have something stuck?  Could she be a cockerel ? :D  Someone will be here shortly with a better answer. 

Fisherman

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 19:59 »
I am a relatively new chicken keeper and yes they are great fun, better than I ever imagined. I would recommend 3 things for anyone purchasing new chickens: -
1) Worm them straight away irrespective of whether your supplier said they were wormed already or not. Use Flubenvet as it deals with all types of worms including Gape worm that your chickens may have.
2) Treat them for mites & lice straight away using Frontline for cats. One or two drops of Frontline on the skin at the back of the neck will sort the devils out. Bear in mind you need to purchase Frontline for cats as its not been tested on chickens and the supplier may not sell it to you if you tell them it's for chickens. Most people on this site swear by it.
3) Get advice from a vet if you suspect a serious problem with your birds. It's worth it just for the peace of mind.

Also if you have any stupid questions, which you will have, post a question on this site and you will get loads of advice from more experienced chicken keepers than me.

Enjoy and good luck."

xx
Help Poorly Chicken

Started by Nick on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post September 19, 2008, 10:58
by Aunt Sally
xx
poorly chicken, I think.

Started by crowndale on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 15, 2012, 16:17
by crowndale
question
Poorly chicken

Started by Winterbourn on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 19, 2009, 22:41
by iwantanallotment
xx
Poorly chicken - help please.

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2012, 22:48
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 32 queries.