Cut flowers on the plot?

• 43 Replies

agapanthus

Cut flowers on the plot?
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2007, 11:15 »
I love to grow...cornflowers, nigella, clarkia...all the old cottage garden flowers. These grow on top of small area where I've put in daffs for their lovely spring-yellow colour :D ......and 'cos they are annuals they self seed :D  :D

flowerlady

• Experienced Member
Cut flowers on the plot?
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2007, 18:49 »
I've just looked at your photos mj ... with that much space you could grow more than 'mums !!  Wow that's soooo not fair!

My plot friendly flowers include ....

Monada ... the leaves I use to relieve the bites I get on the plot  :D
Tansey ... magic for hover flies and friendlies
Daisies ... the tall sort ... either shasta or michalmas
Lavender ... everyones fav
and
SUNFLOWERS   :D
"He who plants a garden plants happiness"

muntjac

Cut flowers on the plot?
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2007, 20:29 »
i only cut a few flowers for graves etc other than that if a visitor calls she gets some to go home with ,i do grow a load for my garden tho . big show of tulips in at the  minute then it will be 100 begonias 200 geraniuks and a few other bits wall pots hanging baskets ect. will post this years show in summer
still alive /............

purplebat

Cut flowers on the plot?
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2007, 20:32 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
i only cut a few flowers for graves etc other than that if a visitor calls she gets some to go home with ,i do grow a load for my garden tho . big show of tulips in at the  minute then it will be 100 begonias 200 geraniuks and a few other bits wall pots hanging baskets ect. will post this years show in summer

when do yu get time to sleep Munty? you seem to do a bit of everything?  :shock:
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

muntjac

Cut flowers on the plot?
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2007, 20:41 »
i do do a bit of everything but simply my timing is what makes it easier to get done . sounds  bit far fetched coming from an occupation where i had 4 mins to shower shave and get into full ceremonial dress  or having to target and knock down a missile coming in at the speed of sound kinda makes you make sure your time is used to its maximum .. i only do what needs to be done on any given day . lots of the folks on here arout planting stuff that doesnt need to be in at the minute around here .sowing a row of seeds takes 20 mins max .why hang around for an hour discussing it with someone else on the plot . there plenty of time to chat when your watching it grow in the summer .. i learned a very sobering lesson when i went ill with my pump .time is running out faster than you think and the clock stops when you die .. im lucky to still be here for many reasons .ii have had mates hit by a bullet when i know it should have been me but i moved a fraction of a second before . died when i had my heart attacks so im not hanging about no more . hope that explains a bit about me   bit " deeep " but its the only way i think now .  :wink:

WG.

Cut flowers on the plot?
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2007, 20:49 »
What a great attitude to have.  I'm delighted not to have had these experiences but, even second-hand, they are strong enough to help me stop wasting any more of my time.  Well spoken MJ.

purplebat

Cut flowers on the plot?
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2007, 21:28 »
you took the words right out of my mouth WG, definitely the right attitude, and you nearly (but not quite) made me lost for words; and that ain't easy!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

flowerlady

• Experienced Member
Cut flowers on the plot?
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2008, 11:52 »
Lovely Munty!  :tongue2:    In that case be sure to grow the most spectacular Gladioli for your lady ... they are wonderfully showy and last for ages in water ... she will be SO chuffed  :wink:

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
Cut flowers on the plot?
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2008, 14:53 »
Quote from: "Dabhand"
Quote from: "Beetybops"
We grew zinnias and dahlias last year and were picking both right through until November time.  We also grew love in a mist, which have lovely flowers and also very pretty seed heads.  We're going to try asters and crysanths too this year.

You could also cross 'Love in a mist' with 'Love lies bleeding' and end up with
'Love in a bleeding mist'  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I don't know why but that really had me p*****g my self laughing.

Dave.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failures your thing.
Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
Why do Blondes dye their roots black?

Christine

Cut flowers on the plot?
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2008, 12:29 »
Quote from: "Dabhand"
You could also cross 'Love in a mist' with 'Love lies bleeding' and end up with 'Love in a bleeding mist'  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Me mother did once and she was NOT popular with the uncle who kept his best rose bushes that he used for gathering blooms to show -  :shock:

judas25

Cut flowers on the plot?
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2008, 11:52 »
I grow cosmos on my plot.

Mrs SpudtheBinx

• http://daveandbecca.co.uk/wordpress/
Cut flowers on the plot?
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2008, 17:01 »
Quote from: "judas25"
I grow cosmos on my plot.

We've been growing cosmos as well, they're stunning now they're in flower  :D  We also have sweet williams, lillies, roses, freesias and crocosmia to mention but a few  :lol:
I do love our flower patch!
Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it!

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
Re: Cut flowers on the plot?
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2013, 16:26 »
I reccommend Asters. Easy to grow and you get a great crop. Only draw back is they do not have much perfume.

Sweetpea C

Re: Cut flowers on the plot?
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2013, 07:42 »
Asters are also another easy grow, long stemmed flower & come in many colours & varities.

I agree with dd, asters are really easy and last all through the summer. They also last ages after they have been cut where sweetpeas only last a couple of days. I haven't found anything that smells as lovely as sweetpeas though. Dahlias take up room but again make a beautiful cut flower. I have all of the above and more in the garden :)

edit to clarify quote
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 08:26 by mumofstig »
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

xx
flowers in veg plot

Started by dmg on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post February 09, 2013, 19:47
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Cut Flowers

Started by pipfit on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post March 04, 2015, 17:18
by Kristen
xx
Cut Flowers

Started by bluelou on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post March 06, 2011, 10:42
by tallulah
xx
sun flowers

Started by celtbhoy on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post May 05, 2007, 22:40
by Bigbadfrankie

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 39 queries.