Aggressive pepper pruning

• 5 Replies

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Aggressive pepper pruning
« on: May 30, 2018, 22:40 »
After watching this really great video by Veronica Flores on youtube I decided to be brave and try the same technique on my own peppers this year. As I'm growing two of each type of my chillies and peppers this year I've pruned one and left one to grow normally. I'll update this thread as the plants progress :D

Attached are  pics of one pruned and one unpruned Jalepeno plant.
Chilli pruned.JPG
Chilli Unpruned.JPG
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 22:43 by Plot 1 Problems »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Aggressive pepper pruning
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 08:52 »
I pinch most of mine back hard when they are young, and the branch out then low down and away they go. They do like a bit of a feed from time to time  :nowink:

It'll be interesting to see the difference in your harvests between the pruned and unpruned plants  8)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 09:19 »
I've always advised pinching/pruning the tops off if they produce flower buds before the stem branches/forks. To leave the flowers on gives you early fruit but little more in growth, so a small early harvest.
Pinching gives you bigger plants/more fruit in the long run, but first harvest of ripe fruit will be a few weeks later.
It depends on where in the UK people are whether the 'few weeks later' would mean that few peppers ripen before colder weather sets in.

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 09:52 »
I've been doing exactly this experiment with Apache, Scotch Bonnet and Havana Gold. They were sown way back in Jan under LEDs, so the unpinched Apache now have full sized green chilli's, whereas the pitched ones are stating to bush out nicely, but still trying to flower furiously, so picking off all the buds for now. In previous years the Apaches have just seemed to fade away after the first flush of fruit, so this will be interesting to see how they develop.

Unpinched Havana Gold is quite top heavy now with plenty of fruit developing, while the pitched one is starting to branch. The Scotch Bonnet is the slowest of all with even the unpinched one only just starting to flower.

I love an experiment :D

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 14:46 »
It's sounds similar to what you do with young fuchsia plants. By nipping the tops off, the plant produces more side stems which ultimately produce more flowers.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 20:35 »
The Scotch Bonnet is the slowest of all with even the unpinched one only just starting to flower.

I grew these once and they are really slow to get going.  I pinched out the branches and ended up with a very wide plant, laden with fruit.  I was picking them from the greenhouse end October/beginning November I think.  Hugely productive plants, but take a long time to get there.  Amazingly fragrant fruit as well, with a rich fruity flavour, as well as the kick of a mule  :lol:

xx
Pruning pepper plants

Started by Rowan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 15, 2009, 16:56
by mumofstig
clip
What pepper is this?

Started by BumbleJo on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 17, 2017, 09:15
by Mr Dog
xx
First pepper

Started by Steveharford on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 18, 2015, 09:26
by Willow_Warren
clip
pepper help

Started by daveylamp on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 08, 2022, 11:02
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.438 seconds with 46 queries.