Borlotti Beans

• 8 Replies

andyww2013

• Experienced Member
Borlotti Beans
« on: September 16, 2021, 10:20 »
Hello,

I grew some borlotti beans this year for the first time.  After reading several guides it said to leave the pods on the plants until they die.  I've done this, but the resulting pods look pretty bad.

Are these ok to eat? I've attached a couple of pictures.  If they are ok, any idea how I actually cook them, do they need to soaked etc...

Many Thanks.
PXL_20210916_091407907.jpg
PXL_20210916_091433891.jpg

steven c

• Experienced Member
Re: Borlotti Beans
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 11:27 »
hi andy our first time with borlotti we have cooked with them after soaking for about 8 hours
they were excellent and we will save some seed for next year we grew 15 plants this year want about 50
next year   good luck
from bow like to grow

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 13:29 »
Shell them out of their pods now for storage, assuming you aren't going to eat them all at once.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 23:02 »
They look good to me. As mum says shell them before storage.
FYI You can also eat them earlier in their life cycle when the pods are green eating the beans pod as well. HH
Keep digging

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 23:30 »
FYI You can also eat them earlier in their life cycle when the pods are green eating the beans pod as well. HH

I tend to pick mine when the beans are pretty big but the pod is still just green. Those beans get frozen and can be cooked up pretty quickly compared to the dry ones.

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 08:27 »
They look good. The dried beans can take a fair bit of cooking after soaking so use a lot of energy. You can keep costs down by using a slow cooker or bring them to the boil on the hob, turn them out and place a lid on the pan. Repeat when they've cooled (usually takes a couple of times reheating depending how well your pan holds heat). Borlotti's make lovely hummus.

Mr Dog

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2021, 09:59 »
I tend to pick mine when the beans are pretty big but the pod is still just green. Those beans get frozen and can be cooked up pretty quickly compared to the dry ones.

We do similar with Runners once we've eaten our fill and stocked up the freezer for winter use.

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2021, 22:46 »

Hi P1P, are they frozen with or without pods. Tried dried ones a few years ago and put off by need for soaking etc so this looks a better option for the ones we're growing this year. Mind you, not bragging but the freezers are quite full!

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2021, 22:48 »

Hi P1P, are they frozen with or without pods. Tried dried ones a few years ago and put off by need for soaking etc so this looks a better option for the ones we're growing this year. Mind you, not bragging but the freezers are quite full!

Without the pods! They're normally stringy by the point the beans are formed so I just compost them and freeze the beans.

xx
french beans or borlotti beans?

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 21:49
by waddecar
clip
Borlotti beans

Started by AnneB on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 21, 2016, 20:51
by New shoot
xx
Borlotti beans

Started by fatcat1955 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 03, 2010, 17:41
by gypsy
xx
Borlotti beans

Started by Lulu on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 29, 2014, 21:22
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.416 seconds with 49 queries.