• 11 Replies

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
Peas
« on: February 23, 2012, 10:55 »
Hi guys,
Got a question for you all.
I planted some peas back in December which are doing well, I did read on another topic that I won't gain much for planter that time of year as the one's I sow now should catch up.  The question I have is how many seeds should I put in one pot? (starting off in pots at home then transplanting to the allotment)  I did one in each pot back in December but I was talking to a guy at the allotment and he told me to sow five in a pot does this sound right? if so do I have to thin out the weaker ones from each pot or can I leave them all in to grow together (five up each cane)?
Any help would be good thanks. :D :D :D :D :D
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Peas
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 11:17 »
I don't transplant peas, unless it's a rare variety in which case I raise them in separate pots to start with and in any case 5 per pot depends on what pot size you're talking about.

Main thing to bear in mind is the spacing if you do transplant, for the recommended spacing you'll need 12 plants per foot of row, like this:

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 11:32 »

I plant my peas in 1 yard lengths of plastic guttering,  (similar spacing to that shown above).   When ready, just hoe out a trench and slide the peas into it.   Bit of root disturbance but it's easy.     Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 11:38 »
I hoe out a trench but then throw the seeds in and cover them up, but I do 10m at at time!

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
    • Money saving, grow your own-ing blog
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 12:35 »
I hoe out a trench but then throw the seeds in and cover them up, but I do 10m at at time!

This was my method last year, but I shouldn't be listedned to - they reached about 3", gave a few handfuls of peas and shut up shop.

I think I sowed too late, however, so will be keeping an eye out on here for when people seem to be sowing directly outside - I was just having a go with no expectations and thought they would last into summer, now I realise they don't like too much warmth. 

Incidentally, they were just "Bigga" dried peas (as I'd seen Alys Fowler doing so I thought "Why not?").  This year I may look for some other varieties (Telegraph for a tall grower? Is that right, or do you good people ever just use the dried supermarket peas?) for my first go at growing peas that are actually worth growing, i.e. I get more than a pocket-full from them!
Live like a peasant,
eat like a king!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 12:41 »
Alderman for a tall grower.

Wouldn't grow dried peas for an eating crop, they're intended for drying and making mushy peas out of,  not so tender as a fresh pea.  They're OK if you eat them as pea shoots.

I sow late March, early April, not too hot and it avoids the worst of the pea moth.

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 12:59 »
Alderman for a tall grower.

Wouldn't grow dried peas for an eating crop, they're intended for drying and making mushy peas out of,  not so tender as a fresh pea.  They're OK if you eat them as pea shoots.

I sow late March, early April, not too hot and it avoids the worst of the pea moth.

Thanks - we do eat the pea shoots from a planter in the kitchen window in summer to add to salads, etc.

I'l Google Alderman, thanks. I am tempted by the Heritage variety "Champion of England" from Real Seeds as they describe their variety as one which has been kept going over the years in Pickworth, Lincs, which is just down the road from me. That appeals to me, don't know why!

Maybe it would help a little if it's been grown for generations in the local area to me, or maybe it'll just give me a warm fuzzy feeling  8)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 15:39 »
I've got both sorts, but Alderman are cheaper to buy in bulk. I'm gradually building up my stocks of C of E.

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 15:43 »
I only have a small space so I'm seriously considering the C of E as I don't need many, then saving the seed from the strongest plants to build up my stocks a little of them - hopefully next sowing season I will have a) moved house to somewhere with more growing space, and b) got, or at least moved up the list for, an allotment.

I hope I can do them justice. I love the history of it though; a variety saved from the brink locally - if I can keep them going myself I would be beaming.

Never thought I'd be this excited by peas  :wub:

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 15:47 »
I grew C of E last year and although I did it all ala DD, I got lots of growth but little crop. Nowhere near the cropping I got from other varieties.

DD, is C of E a low cropper or was it just mine?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 15:59 »
Mine were a good cropper, although I never got around to sowing them last year, I can only speak for the previous year.

mattwragg94

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 19:19 »
i followed DD's template last year and i had a very good crop  - they grew to about 5 foot and gave me about 2 big bowls full of peas a week and that was only on a 6ft by 1ft row.

however i start them off in trays in the greenhouse and transplant them when they are about 2inches high.

question
Hurst greenshaft peas Support required (me and the peas)

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 22, 2019, 17:46
by Twood
xx
sweet peas garden peas

Started by potherb on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2018, 17:00
by sunshineband
xx
Peas

Started by Alec Powell on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 01, 2006, 21:47
by Nugget
xx
Peas

Started by mandycharlie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 02, 2007, 19:06
by pwgun

Page created in 0.283 seconds with 28 queries.