seedling help

• 10 Replies

nitiram

seedling help
« on: April 18, 2006, 08:48 »
This is my first year on a lottie...normally at home I put a small pinch of seeds in a plant pot on the window sill then plant outside in a large tub and everything grows quite happily......but, now I have a small plastic 'greenhouse' and nothing wants to grow properly. I read the seed packets and sowed my seeds in teither trays or small pots ,, watered, waited for seeds to come up...which most of them have done. (the chillies seem to have gone to austrailia though...no sign of them at all). But now it seems that within  a day all the tops have dropped off and there is thick green moss growing on top of the compost....HELP     what has happened here. ??????    Is my 'greenhouse' too wet/ hot/ air tight??   Do I have to leave the door open a bit? Cover seeds with plastic bags?   or wot??

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
seedling help
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 09:45 »
I think the clue is in the mould on the top of the compost - too wet. Overwatering is one of the biggest killers of seedlings and many potted plants.

We've had this problem using a different compost this year - in hindsight, the exact science - I should have added some perlite to it so it would drain better.

As for the chillies, I suspect too cold at night. Big problem with greenhouses is that they get too hot in the day and don't hold temperature at night.

You need to open windows in the day and close at night. My solar ventilator is really a back up as I'm not about at sunrise to open the windows.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

nitiram

seedling help
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 15:01 »
John, greenhouse doesn't have any windows just a rickety door. Can I leave it open a notch, it slides? Or do i have to go in morning and night to open and close it which is nott really possible.  Would it help to put the chillies in a plastic bag? Will they rot off or lie dormant till it is warmer?

Sorry for all the questions!!!!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
seedling help
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 15:41 »
No easy answers, I'm afraid. Chillies seem very sensitive to cold - could you not keep them at home until they've grown? Otherwise a bag may help - I think the hard frosts are past - although we are bound to have a couple of frosts yet before summer.

Leaving a door open could be an answer but watch out that wind doesn't get in - I've seen a greenhouse travel  two plots when the wind got into it.

Biscombe

• Experienced Member
seedling help
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 10:13 »
Hi there! I had a similar problem! it may be damping off?? I put a sprinkle of cinnamon around my seedlings, all ok now!
Happy Gardening

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
seedling help
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 11:44 »
Quote from: "Biscombe"
Hi there! I had a similar problem! it may be damping off?? I put a sprinkle of cinnamon around my seedlings, all ok now!

Never heard of that before - amazing!!

nitiram

seedling help
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 14:43 »
Does the cinnamon actually work?? And how does it work?????

Biscombe

• Experienced Member
seedling help
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 16:22 »
No idea!! sounds wierd eh!! but works for me, not had a problem since using cinnamon! another one is nettle tea! that makes the little ones nice and strong! That is if your problem is damping off! I also water my seedlings from the bottom, only a little every day so they dont get too soggy.

Good luck and all the best Biscombe

nitiram

seedling help
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 16:40 »
I'm watering from the top should I water from the bottom ?

Biscombe

• Experienced Member
seedling help
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 18:05 »
Hi there! I'm no expert! but I always water the young ones from the bottom! seems to make them stronger. Have you tried the cinnamon yet!? crazy but works!!!!! where abouts does your spanish friend yet? All the best!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
seedling help
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 19:15 »
Overwatering probably kills mre seedlings than anything else - little and often is much better than soak and dry. (Now, if only I can do as I say...)

xx
where are my seedling?!!

Started by elyleebert on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 12:42
by DD.
xx
Anyone know what seedling this is?

Started by nuzuki on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post April 29, 2012, 14:39
by Matt31
xx
My son's first seedling!

Started by Limey153 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 16, 2014, 18:02
by evie2
xx
Is this a carrot seedling?

Started by SalJ1980 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 08:03
by crowndale

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 38 queries.