briggs and stratton is sparkless

• 1 Replies

lippett76

« on: April 07, 2008, 22:53 »
Hi,
I bought a norlett tiller today with a briggs and stratton 3.5hp engine, but I cant gat a spark from it. please help, i did take it apart and have a look but not really knowing what im looking at i didnt get too far, is there anything i can do or should i take it to a repair shop?

Gwiz

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 05:05 »
Hi.
Is the engine white? if so, it's a fair bet that it's got a set of points under it's flywheel. This is where the fault normally lies.
have a look at the back posts in this section, and you should find a load of infomation about setting/renewing them.
before taking it all apart tho, try a new spark plug first, and make sure that the cut out switch on the throttle linkages is turning off. You can find this by following the cable down from the handles. where it joins onto the engine is usually where it is. look for a single wire. the switch itself is very simple, and can get covered in oil and filth, which then shorts out the switch. sometimes, also, the cable doesn't actually move the throttle link because the cable securing screw has become loose, so the engine's switch remains in the "off" position.
Hope this helps, if you can't find the relevant back post's, just sing out again, and I'll see if i can findthem for you. :D
welcome to the forums, by the way :D

xx
Briggs and stratton

Started by Gerry Norris on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post March 03, 2015, 20:54
by jezza
xx
Briggs n stratton.

Started by denbo73 on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post February 14, 2007, 17:07
by Gwiz
xx
Briggs and Stratton 5 hp

Started by Praxxus on Equipment Shed

47 Replies
Last post January 19, 2010, 15:16
by Praxxus
xx
5HP Briggs and Stratton

Started by andygregs156 on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post January 20, 2012, 12:32
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 28 queries.