Feather Pecking Again!

• 14 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Feather Pecking Again!
« on: April 07, 2008, 17:23 »
I've been reading up some of the posts on fether pecking!  One of the ladies who had 6 of our Amberlinks rang a little while ago to say that one of hers, she thinks its the lowest in the pecking order, pecks the feathers of the other 5.  She got some of the smelly spray and sprayed all their bottoms, but now the pecker has started on their undersides!

She said that they have plenty of room, and cabbages hanging up and grain put down for them to peck at, and theyv'e also got even more room now in amongst the bushes, so it shouldn't be boredom!

Apart from anti peck rings, which I'll call and tell her about, what else can anyone suggest to help?  I've said can she segregate the pecker from the others for a while, but she said that would be very awkward to do.

Thanks in advance

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Feather Pecking Again!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 17:28 »
i would say seperate the pecker too, its part of chook keeping, nothing is promised to be trouble free.

the one being pecked needs to have a chance at a bit of peace.

bless its little cottons

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Feather Pecking Again!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 17:39 »
I had a feather pecker and I found it impossible to stop her from turning my other chook into an oven ready bird.  I tried all the sprays from Purple to anti peck stinky stuff like Stockholm Tar and nothing really worked.  In the end I had to use anti peck rings which needed to be changed about once a month as the beak made a groove in them eventually.  This did the trick but we had to use them all the time.

The pecked bird died of egg peritonitis eventually and I removed Hattie's beak ring before buying a new bird.  There is now no problem with pecking.  I think there needs to be some kind of trigger for it to start like a dirty bum (sorry folks).  I still have quite a few anti-peck rings and if your friend would like me to send her a few to try just PM me her address (or yours) Grannie and I'll get them in the post.

GrannieAnnie

Feather Pecking Again!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 22:04 »
Quote from: "babe"
i would say seperate the pecker too,

Isn't that what I said Babe??? lol, and it's ALL the other 5 that it pecks!!!  But she said she can't separate them, (obviously doesn't have a garden shed, even though she has a gardener!) lol

Asked if I could have it back and put with the others, but all the other Amberlinks have gone, and don't really want to put it in with the older hens.  Hope she doesn't ask for her money back!

GrannieAnnie

Feather Pecking Again!
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 22:07 »
Ooh, thank you Auntie, a couple of anti peck rings would be nice, send them to me, as I don't know her address, do you want a swap or P&P or anything?  She's not a friend, just a lady who bought 6 chooks, but I don't like unhappy customers.

I'll PM you my addy!

Greg and Theresa down the road had 6 and one of them kept pecking, but they brought her back here and she tried it with the 30 I had left, but they sorted her out and she calmed down, but I think in that case, the chooks were a bit overcrowded, which doesn't seem to be the trouble with this other lady.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Feather Pecking Again!
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 22:19 »
I'll pop some in the post tomorrow  :D

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
Feather Pecking Again!
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 21:34 »
EER! Don't you have to put those rings onto their beaks? I found a product that i got from the pharmacy...never actually used it as the pecking didn't come to anything..will look on the packet tomorrow but it wasn't stockholm tar...I think it was like the bitter aloes that my mum used to paint on my nails to stop me chewing my nails!!

Good luck,

Judi

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Feather Pecking Again!
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 21:42 »
Hattie with a anti peck ring

compostqueen

Feather Pecking Again!
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 22:22 »
wow, you live and learn  :D

GrannieAnnie

Feather Pecking Again!
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 22:27 »
I called Mary today, and her chook is still pecking the others!  In fact, she's pecked all the tail feathers from the other chooks and now she's the only one with a tail!  The naughty chook will also peck at them whilst they are dustbathing, and they have outdoor perch things, and when the others are on it, the pecker goes underneath them and pecks their tummies.  She keeps spraying them with the evil smelling stuff, but she can't spray the whole chicken can she???? lol

Mary said she isn't keen on anti peck rings, as she kept chooks years ago and had a pecker, but she took the anti peck ring off as the chook was obviously distressed with it on!

So I give up!  Mary said if she can't break the chook of the habit, she may give it to the farmer down the road to put in with his flock and maybe they'll sort it out!

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Feather Pecking Again!
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 22:33 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
Hattie with a anti peck ring

looks like my nephews new lip piercing..hattie the trendy chook :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Feather Pecking Again!
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 22:59 »
It took her a couple of hours to get used to it and by the nex day she was eating properly.

Shame they only come in white  :wink:

GrannieAnnie

Feather Pecking Again!
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 22:51 »
She looks like one of those tribes that wear a bone through their noses!!!!  :lol:

keyworthp

Feather Pecking Again!
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 21:57 »
Aunt Sally, sorry nothing to say about the problems here but how have you managed to place the picture into you msg.  Many thanks :)  :roll:

GrannieAnnie

Feather Pecking Again!
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 22:07 »
Hi Kayworth, and welcome!!!!!!

Try this link to find out how to put piccies in your posts!!!

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?p=100026#100026

xx
Feather pecking.

Started by Chas on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 17:32
by Chas
xx
Feather pecking

Started by soya-bean on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 14:02
by stan deakin
xx
Feather Pecking?

Started by CluckyChicken on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 02, 2011, 18:07
by CluckyChicken
xx
feather pecking

Started by freda on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 30, 2008, 20:52
by freda

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 39 queries.