Tomato problem???

• 19 Replies

Fairy Plotmother

Re: Tomato problem???
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 18:17 »
Thanks for all your interest. I will have look around tomorrow when I go. It seems that both the troubles are alike.

seaside

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 18:45 »
I agree, they can look very similar FP, botrytis and later blight. However, if it is just one outside plant at the moment, I would assume it to be botrytis.
These last 3 or 4 years I have planted outside tomatoes with leftover seedlings more out of an afterthought than expectation. I'm almost expecting them to be taken by blight before the end of August.
Indoor ones are quite a different matter as there are options.
When blight comes to our site, which it probably will, the choice is does one shut the greenhouse door and encourage botrytis or does one keep it open with the threat of blight blowing in... at least with the door open it is more likely there will be no moisture on the leaf and stem surfaces.
And from experience, at least botrytis can be contained, managed and a reasonable crop obtained in a greenhouse with blight outside. A tough call.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 13:19 »
 :) There doesn't seem to be any further problems but I have spayed anyway. My plot neighbour thought it looked like blight... so who knows.

maloneranger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 15:12 »

Medwyn suggests lemon juice as a treatment, which may work - although - it's illegal to use it according to the EU.

I find it very hard to believe that the EU would make the use of lemon juice illegal.
Have you a source for that info?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 15:18 »
Any substance used as a pesticide that's not been tested and approved for that purpose by the EU is therefore illegal to use by default.

I'm not saying it's sensible, and I'm not saying that many people don't use all manner of concoctions in the privacy of their back gardens when no-one's looking, but that's the legal position I'm afraid.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

clip
Tomato Problem

Started by simonwatson on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 27, 2021, 22:59
by Subversive_plot
xx
Tomato problem

Started by peskypixie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 04, 2010, 22:13
by RichardA
xx
Tomato Problem?

Started by Shieldsy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 21:15
by Shieldsy
clip
Tomato problem

Started by lacaya on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 08, 2013, 12:59
by lacaya

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 37 queries.