Munty Frame

• 8 Replies

arh

Munty Frame
« on: April 05, 2017, 14:12 »
I have read and read the threads on here about the Munty Frame, which I think is very good, (the Munty Frame, not the reading,lol). But can someone give me a definitive answer about the rotation of said frame. Thinking of it as a set of goal-posts, does the posts face the sun, or does the "net" face the sun. I think that it's the "posts", seems logical to me, because anything planted in the "goal area" would be always in the shade otherwise. But on the other hand, would the beans receive more sun the other way round?. I am thinking of making a set of movable Munty Frames for next year, so I can rotate them  on the plot, (something like a 6'x 4' module) seems as though there would be less fiddling than with canes, (once it's finished), (set the frames down, mark out the trench, shift it, fill the trench through the winter, plonk the frames back on, with some pegs to tie them down, plant the beans, etc. etc.).
Especially as MoS has said that the yield is greater, plus I only have to be able to get at one side not two. Plant it against the hedge for example. Thinking about it, I guess that the posts must face the sun, if it was backed onto the hedge, but a clear answer would be much appreciated. Thank you, arh.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Munty Frame
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 14:27 »
The taller part of the frame should face south so the beans head for the sun, and light can get to the plants under the bean frame.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 19:25 by mumofstig »

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 15:27 »
I have looked at these frames in the past.

Why do they have the back wall? Why cannot the beans just climb straight up the slope from the start? Construction would certainly be easier if all that was needed was a rectangular frame propped up on one side. What angle is the roof at?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 15:44 »
I don't know, it was just a way of growing them that was suggested years ago by Muntjac, which seemed to work.

Why don't you try your way and see if it works for you  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 17:16 »

Why do they have the back wall? Why cannot the beans just climb straight up the slope from the start? Construction would certainly be easier if all that was needed was a rectangular frame propped up on one side. What angle is the roof at?

I think the idea of the shorter vertical posts (all angle iron in my case) is to give you more clearance to get under the sloping part to pick the beans, which should of course all be hanging down nice and straight at a convenient height.  :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 17:37 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 17:17 »

One benefit of the extra height is additional growing space under the frame, which is easily accessible (as is picking the beans) for a catch crop that enjoys shelter and warmth of the south facing aspect of the frame, if that makes sense
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Rhys

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 22:07 »
Never heard of a 'Munty Frame', but it looks like a cracking idea! I've got tons of garden canes and string so that's another project on the books  ::) :D
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing, so get yourself a sexy raincoat and live a little." - Billy Connolly

arh

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 07:35 »
Thank you Mum, that was my way of thinking too, thank you to all the other posters for their replies too. Now to work out a mobile frame. Thank you again, arh.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 09:55 »
There are many possible variations in the dimensions of a Munty frame, depending on available space and personal preferences - this is what I went with for my 'permanent' Munty frame built from angle iron in 2009. Aim for at total climbing distance of at least 8', which is about as far as most runner beans get. The tall side faces south as in the diagram MoS posted earlier.

This is what it looked like in action in 2012 - you might be able to see a few angled bamboo canes which are supporting garden netting just above the beans. This was to deter sparrows which had the very bad habit of pecking off the flowers and sometimes the shoots too. As Sunny has mentioned you can grow catch crops underneath - I grew my garlic there one year (it was ready before the beans cast too much shade) and have grown lettuces and other salad stuff there other years, although I must admit I only seem to be growing weeds in this picture.  ::)

xx
munty frame

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 16:41
by arugula
clip
My Munty frame

Started by snow white on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 07, 2018, 17:02
by snowdrops
xx
Munty frame

Started by Lynne on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post February 08, 2008, 10:37
by Ruth Cross
xx
Munty frame question

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2011, 13:01
by AndyRVTR

Page created in 0.542 seconds with 39 queries.