Chickens & Ducks

• 6 Replies

shellroberts

Chickens & Ducks
« on: September 16, 2015, 08:38 »
Hi all,
I'm new to this site, so firstly, hello everyone! I'm Michelle, I live near High Wycombe and I recently purchased my first pair of chickens, standard brown ones but lovely girls. So far I've had two eggs per day - it's brilliant!
But I'd love to get some ducks. Can you tell me if chickens and ducks are happy to live together in the same coop? My coop is big enough to take 4/5 in total. They have free roam of about an acre of land during the day, so only in the coop on an evening/night.
I'd like Indian Runners.
Thanks, M

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
Re: Chickens & Ducks
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 13:13 »
Hi and Welcome.

From past experience, chicken and duck compatibility really does depend on the individual birds. You can try but be prepared to separate if needs be.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 14:34 »
Hi and Welcome.

From past experience, chicken and duck compatibility really does depend on the individual birds. You can try but be prepared to separate if needs be.

Same really. But runners are smaller than some so they may be OK. We tried our big mules in the 12x12 chook house which was fine most of the time, but when waiting for the door to open in the morning (they get up earlier than chooks) they flapped about a bit and sent the chooks flying! They are in a separate house at night now but they run together (chicks too) during the day with the goats.

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 12:11 »
You do need to bear in mind the different roosting arrangements. As ducks roost on the floor they are likely to be pooped on - not ideal. Also ducks make a lot of mess and mud not really good for chooks. Depends on space ypu have and personalities. I had space but found it better for both hens and ducks to keep separately.  :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

shellroberts

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 12:34 »
Thank you guys. I think it will be best they have their own houses at night then. I will look at building something for the ducks.

Prod

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 08:03 »
I have kept chickens and ducks (call & miniature Appleyard) quite happily together as they free range but I think they definitely need separate coops as per the reasons already given, plus ducks will try to stay out a lot longer at night than chickens. Duck houses/coops are also much easier to build and don't require roosting bars or nest boxes. As ducks sleep on the floor it could confuse and distress the chickens if the ducks slept say in the nest boxes. At one time I had 11 ducks and could 'herd' them into their coop just by saying 'bed, bed' (same with the chickens) and I think it was a lot easier having separate coops.  I recently sold all my ducks in favour of keeping & breeding pekins, polish and silkies and I must say I do miss them.......

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 18:45 »
I kept 6-8 chickens and four ducks in a run at least 4 metres by 12m and they all slept in the same shed - the chicken perches were separated from the duck sleeping area so no poo-bombing. They were fine together apart from one dust up between a duck and a chicken and the chicken got out of the way quick. Don't know what started that short-lived fracas.

The ducks were a bit messy and they tend to go through things rather than around them. I cleaned daily and provided a lot of clean, fresh water as ducks are best provided for that way. I had 2 Khaki Campbells and 2 Indian Runners. Lots of fun, liked the ducks a lot yet I wouldn't do it again. Just have chickens now. Far less effort. If yours can roam freely over a large, secure area that should be great. I let mine wander during the day time with the ducks dabbling in a stream. One problem I had was rough ground on a duck's foot causing calluses. That took some fixing.

xx
chickens and ducks

Started by jason g on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 24, 2010, 12:36
by animartco
xx
Ducks and chickens

Started by Tenhens on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 18, 2010, 23:15
by Tenhens
xx
ducks and chickens together?

Started by monkeyboysee on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 15, 2009, 17:50
by poultrygeist
xx
Chickens or Ducks?

Started by DeborahC on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 01, 2009, 08:34
by Sassy

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 38 queries.